cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DangerousBrian
Level: Powered On

Filtering choices that are populated from a sharepoint lookup.

Hi, 

I'm pretty new to powerapps & pretty much anything related to programming to be honest.

I've got 2 sharepoint lists, one is a list of people that have recieved an induction. & a 2nd list that is used for my powerapp which is a signing in system.

The sign-in list uses a lookup of the person_name in the induction list, this all works fine without a problem. But now i need to filter the choices in the person combobox based on another lookup field that is in the induction list.

sign-in.JPG

The two fields circled above are the 2 lookups from the induction list in sharepoint, the "red_card" field on the right is always = to "OK" unless it is manually removed.

Below is a screenshot of my filter that i have attempted, i only want to display names where the red_card_status is OK.

the error is "Wrong column type, expects text type"

Filter.JPG

I have literally been going around in cirlcles with this and it's driving me mad. 

Thanks,

Bri 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Filtering choices that are populated from a sharepoint lookup.

Hi @DangerousBrian,

Could you please share more details about the data structure of your two SP lists (Induction list and Sign In list)?

Could you please share a bit more about the "RED_CARD_STATUS" column? Is it a Single line text column in your Induction list?

Based on the formula that you provided, I think there is something wrong with it. When you filter the Choices in the Combo Box which connects to the Person_Name column (LookUp column), you could only reference values from the Name column in your Induction list (where Person_Name reference values from), you could not reference values from the RED_CARD_STATUS column in your Induction list.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

The data structure of Induction list and SignIn list as below:4.JPG

5.JPG

App's configuration as below:3.JPG

Unlock the Person_Name Data card within the Edit form, set the Items property of the Combo Box control to following:

Filter(
Choices('20181225_case4_SignIn'.Person_Name),
Value in Filter('20181225_case4_Induction',RED_CARD_STATUS = "OK").UserName
)

On your side, you should type:

Filter(
Choices('Contractor Sign-In'.Person_Name),
Value in Filter('YourInductionList', RED_CARD_STATUS = "OK").ReferencedName
)

Note: The RED_CARD_STATUS column and ReferencedName column are both columns in your Induction list. The Person_Name column in your SignIn list ('Contractor Sign-In') references values from the ReferencedName column in your Induction list.

Please check the following GIF screenshot for more details:

More details about the Filter function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Filter function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Choice and Lookup type columns are embedded tables usually with an ID and value. You must add .Value to the column name to see the record.
DangerousBrian

Hi 

I'm not sure i understand, I've already got the .value in there when adding the filter. like below:

"Filter(Choices('Contractor Sign-In'.Person_Name,'Person_Name:RED_CARD_STATUS'.Value="OK"))"

Thanks,

Bri

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DangerousBrian,

Could you please share more details about the data structure of your two SP lists (Induction list and Sign In list)?

Could you please share a bit more about the "RED_CARD_STATUS" column? Is it a Single line text column in your Induction list?

Based on the formula that you provided, I think there is something wrong with it. When you filter the Choices in the Combo Box which connects to the Person_Name column (LookUp column), you could only reference values from the Name column in your Induction list (where Person_Name reference values from), you could not reference values from the RED_CARD_STATUS column in your Induction list.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

The data structure of Induction list and SignIn list as below:4.JPG

5.JPG

App's configuration as below:3.JPG

Unlock the Person_Name Data card within the Edit form, set the Items property of the Combo Box control to following:

Filter(
Choices('20181225_case4_SignIn'.Person_Name),
Value in Filter('20181225_case4_Induction',RED_CARD_STATUS = "OK").UserName
)

On your side, you should type:

Filter(
Choices('Contractor Sign-In'.Person_Name),
Value in Filter('YourInductionList', RED_CARD_STATUS = "OK").ReferencedName
)

Note: The RED_CARD_STATUS column and ReferencedName column are both columns in your Induction list. The Person_Name column in your SignIn list ('Contractor Sign-In') references values from the ReferencedName column in your Induction list.

Please check the following GIF screenshot for more details:

More details about the Filter function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Filter function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DangerousBrian

Hi Kris, 

Thanks very much, that did the trick! I still don't massively understand the reason for two filters etc but as long as it works, i can try and understand it later! Smiley Happy 

Thanks,

Bri 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 118 members 4,653 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: