cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Faisal_A
Level: Power Up

Future value Calculation in PowerApps

Hi everyone!  I am new to PowerApps.  I have a requirement where I need to build an application that lets users enter infromation that drives a calculation using the Future Value Function.  I have a template in excel that will use excel formulas to complete it.  Unfortunately, I don't see Future Value math function being supported inside PowerApps.  Edit: I should be able to do it the old fashion way: 

FutureValue = PresentValue * (1 + (InterestRatePercent / 100))^Years

Future Value Formula

I would still appreciate some guidence on how to handle this.  Use Collections? 

Detailed requiremnts:

Enter many records/rows with columns containing Amount, fees, years, Interest, etc. to calculate Income/Expense for several groups of records/rows and compare them against other groups (Simple profit/Loss).  User should be abe to view the final calculated values, edit the input data which would refresh the calculation (as they would be abe to in excel) and have the option to save everything to a storage (most likely a sql server table) so it can be viewed in the future or used as a template (wish list) for a new iteration.  

I have access to Sql Server and I can use Stored procedures if necessary via flow.  I just need the most effcient and effective approach to the problem.  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
TimRohr
Level 10

Re: Future value Calculation in PowerApps

Hi, @Faisal_A...

As this is Friday and you posted Monday, you might have discovered some of this already... PowerApps tends to be short learning curve, especially if you are familiar with Excel. That said... a couple of suggestions of guidance.

GIVEN THE REQUIREMENTS

The user might want to pull a record from a stored datasource, or s/he might want to start from scratch

Record(s) pulled or the processing environment will involve many records associated with particular conditions (for instance, the user would be looking at all of the records for a particular department, or all of the contracts for a particular underwriter, or all of the records for a month, etc.)

The user should be able to modify values in the ad hoc calculations, storing them at least temporarily/locally while they continue to work

If at some point the user wants to save her/his work to your long term storage (ie, SQL), you will have to update existing records or create new ones based on the user's initial choice

Given all of that, I would say:

1) tie your data table as a data source to your app

2) Collect() into a local Collection all of the records that the user needs in order to function

3) Bind a Gallery to display the records in that local Collection

4) Create an add/edit form and add data cards & text controls that provide the ad hoc data manipulation, and allow the user to save back to the local Collection

5) Provide a method whereby the user can commit their adds/edits to the permanent SQL table, either one by one or all records currently in the Collection. For this you would need the Patch() statement

Of course, if I'm not entirely a match for your requirements in the requirements I imagined as the starting place, then the best suggestion might be a little different. Post back if your situation is significantly different, or if you need help with any of these steps.

All Replies
TimRohr
Level 10

Re: Future value Calculation in PowerApps

Hi, @Faisal_A...

As this is Friday and you posted Monday, you might have discovered some of this already... PowerApps tends to be short learning curve, especially if you are familiar with Excel. That said... a couple of suggestions of guidance.

GIVEN THE REQUIREMENTS

The user might want to pull a record from a stored datasource, or s/he might want to start from scratch

Record(s) pulled or the processing environment will involve many records associated with particular conditions (for instance, the user would be looking at all of the records for a particular department, or all of the contracts for a particular underwriter, or all of the records for a month, etc.)

The user should be able to modify values in the ad hoc calculations, storing them at least temporarily/locally while they continue to work

If at some point the user wants to save her/his work to your long term storage (ie, SQL), you will have to update existing records or create new ones based on the user's initial choice

Given all of that, I would say:

1) tie your data table as a data source to your app

2) Collect() into a local Collection all of the records that the user needs in order to function

3) Bind a Gallery to display the records in that local Collection

4) Create an add/edit form and add data cards & text controls that provide the ad hoc data manipulation, and allow the user to save back to the local Collection

5) Provide a method whereby the user can commit their adds/edits to the permanent SQL table, either one by one or all records currently in the Collection. For this you would need the Patch() statement

Of course, if I'm not entirely a match for your requirements in the requirements I imagined as the starting place, then the best suggestion might be a little different. Post back if your situation is significantly different, or if you need help with any of these steps.