cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ngreen
Level: Powered On

Have a dropdown update a different dropdown

I have 2 SharePoint Online lists (Visitor List and Data List) that both have a visitor affiliation choice column with the same values. If someone selects a drop down value for the datacard associated with the Visitor List, how can I have PowerApps automatically match and update that value for the datacard associated with the Data List? This spans across two screens in the PowerApp.

Screen 1:

Visitor List

Affiliations

Screen 2:

Data List

Visitor Affiliation

11 REPLIES 11
Super User
Super User

Re: Have a dropdown update a different dropdown

Hi @ngreen 

Do you want to update the data in other SharePoint list as well? Or will this just be updated on the basis of user selection so that it can be viewed on another screen?

Also, please share more details about the common relationship between the two lists so that we can identify the record that needs to be modified.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ngreen ,

Could you tell me do the two lists have other relationship, or just have two choice column with the same choice value?

Are they multiple choice or single choice?

Do you want to automatically update the drop down's selection of Visitor Affiliation based on the selection of Affiliations?

If so, I've made a similar test for your reference:    (I assume that they are single choice)

1)Set Affiliations drop down's Items:

Choices(Visitor List.Affiliations)

2)unlock the Visitor Affiliation data card

3)set Visitor Affiliation combo box's DefaultSelectedItems:

LookUp(Data List,Visitor Affiliation.Value=Dropdown1.Selected.Value).Visitor Affiliation

Choice cholumn will display as combo box in PowerApps by default.

If you want to change it to a drop down, please set its Default property, not DefaultSelectedItems.8203.PNG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ngreen

Hello @v-yutliu-msft ,

To answer your questions:

1. Just two lists that have two choice columns with the same values

2. Single choice

3. Yes I want to automatically update the selection based on the other drop down's selection and then have those choices get posted back to their respective SharePoint lists.

I should have specified in the initial post that I actually want to update Affiliations based on Visitor Affiliation (I know that sounds a bit weird). Based on that, I followed your instructions but reversed:

1. Choices(Data List.Visitor Affiliation) was already set as the Visitor Affiliation datacard Items

2. For this is the "DropDown1" supposed to be the datacard for the Visitor affiliation data card? I tried both but it didn't seem to work. I was using LookUp(Visitor List.Affiliations.Value=Dropdown1.Selected.Value).Affiliations since it was reversed for the other list. Also, will that lookup cause issues for larger lists over 2000 entries?

ngreen

Hi @yashag2255 ,

The two sharepoint lists are separate lists that just have the same choice column with the same values. I just need this to setup for a Flow, and to keep the Flow from going into a loop. The users would need to select their visitor affiliation on the second page and then it would update the hidden affiliation value on the first page. This data for both would then be submitted to sharepoint with the rest of the data form.

Super User
Super User

Hi @ngreen 

In that case, you can setup the configuration as:

Screen1 -> Edit Form -> Hidden Attribute DataCard -> Update Property -> DataCardValue12.Selected.Value

Here, DataCardValue12 is the name of combobox in Edit Form on Screen2.

While working with forms, the data that will be patched to the Entity is done via "Update" property of the data card so if you will change the Data card on First Screen to the Datacard on Second Screen, this will refer to the value from Second Edit Form.

Note: I am assuming that you are doing SubmitForm(Form1) on the Second Screen.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
ngreen

Hi @yashag2255,

I apologize for the delay on replying. I had a really busy few weeks. I worked on putting in your suggestion, but the Affiliation data card on Screen 1 is getting an error stating "Expected Record Value." Do you know anything about trying to resolve this error? 

Super User
Super User

Hi @ngreen 

Can you try to use the below expression in the update property:
DataCardValue16_2.Selected

Here, DataCardValue16_2 is the name of control from where you want to get the value.

Hope this Helps!

ngreen

@yashag2255,

I had actually tried this and it gets a circular reference error. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way and I should use a Flow to update that list value instead of PowerApps to set it?

Super User
Super User

Hi @ngreen 

Circular reference is created if the two controls handles each other's value, for this first datacard do you have any reference for the second datacard?

Yes, you can use flow to do this automatically when the record is created/updated, this way you dont have to perform the action using canvas app and this will get updated automatically

Hope this Helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 230 members 5,080 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: