cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TClark
Level: Powered On

Office365.move - folderPath - syntax for subfolders

What is the proper syntax for a subfolder within the folderPath parameter in the Move email operation?

For example, my Outlook 365 User Account includes a folder named "HMS Sophie", which includes a series of subfolders  named "Jack", "Stephen", "Killick", "Bonden", etc...  I obtained the Message ID of a received message via a Flow connector and added a button to a PowerApps gallery with the following OnSelect properties to move an email from my Inbox to the indicated folders:

a) Office365.Move([Messsage ID], "HMS Sophie") - this one works (sometimes, but that will be for another post)

b) Office365.Move([Message ID], "HMS Sophie / Jack") - returns a 404 error "Specified folder does not exist"

c ) Office365.Move([Message ID], "HMS Sophie/Jack") - returns a 404 error "Specified folder does not exist"

d ) Office365.Move([Message ID], "HMS Sophie\Jack") - returns a 404 error "Specified folder does not exist"

e ) Office365.Move([Message ID], "Office 365 Outlook/HMS Sophie/Jack") - returns a 404 error "Specified folder does not exist"

f) Office365.Move([Message ID], "'HMS Sophie' / 'Jack'") - returns a 404 error "Specified folder does not exist"

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Office365.move - folderPath - syntax for subfolders

Hi @TClark,

Do you want to move your Outlook email from one folder to another folder within your app?

I have made a test, the issue is confirmed on my side.

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try with the "Move email" action of Outlook connector in Microsoft Flow to achieve your needs. The screenshot as below:13.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TClark
Level: Powered On

Re: Office365.move - folderPath - syntax for subfolders

Hi Kris,

Thank you for the response.  I noticed that Flow was handling subfolders and thought the PowerApps function would have the same functionality.  I understand the alternative solution you propose, and apart from the general concerns about latency and keeping the number of Flow runs down to save costs, your alternative raises another potential issue:

Does moving an email to another folder change the Message ID value of the email?

To answer your initial question – yes, I want to move an Outlook email from one folder to another.  At a very high level, my intent is to build a PowerApp to keep incoming emails organized in folders based on a workflow.  The incoming emails must be reviewed, assigned, processed and then saved as originally received.  This was previously performed manually via drag and drop by multiple users with rights to the email account.  This approach eventually led to misfiled emails with little accountability for the users.

The proposed solution uses Flow to provide a Message ID of an incoming email when it arrives in a folder, and that Message ID is then stored in a SharePoint list via Flow Create Item.  My intent is to have each user review the emails via PowerApps, and then use the PowerApps Office365.Move([Message ID], folderPath) function to move an email from a first folder to a second folder to a third folder, etc... as the message proceeds through the workflow.  The issue is (I think) that whenever you move an email via Flow or PowerApps, the Message ID changes which breaks the reference between my SharePoint list item and the corresponding email.  My original concept was to have a single list with all active email and track the folders via a field in that list.  I can come up with another design which includes multiple lists (where each list corresponds to the contents of an email folder), and then use Flow to create list items based on a Flow “When a new email arrives” trigger on the respective folders.  I can then delete the old list item via PowerApps Remove().  But, I have to admit, the thought of all that creating/deleting and corresponding Flow triggers is a bit unnerving.  Is there any way to track an email independent of its current folder location (i.e., a Message ID field)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 4,793 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: