cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawsonbe2018
Level: Powered On

Or Sytax

I discovered that || does not work for all situations. I was trying to use a very commonly referenced technique to hide buttons based on who is the current user. My statement did not work and I could not figure out why. I am still not sure why it does not work since all the documentation from Microsoft that I have read says || is the correct thing to use in this case. 

Visibility=If(User().email = "name1@company.com"||"name2@company.com"||"name3@company.com",true,false)

I found the solution on a different community entry. The following worked.

Visibility = if(User().email in [ "name1@company.com", "name2@company.com", "name3@company.com"],true,false)

I would love if someone could tell me why the second option worked and the first did not. Also, I would love to get a link to the most recent pdf that gives all acceptable syntax options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Or Sytax

Hi @lawsonbe2018,

The difference between the two formulas is that the first one requires that the User().email is identical to name1@company.com while the second one only requires that User().email is contained within the text "name1@company.com" of one of the elements in the right side of the comparison .  One reason for this behaviour is that there is a leading or following blank space that makes the two expressions look the same but are not actually identical.  One way to elimiante this possibility is to use the Trim() function on both sides and see if it works.  You could also parse your expressions by getting rid of the "It(), true,false)" since the result of the formula reduces to either true or false anyway.  If you have more than one comparison, you can wrap them all in one Or() function also instead of using ||.   

Trim(User().email) = Or(Trim("name1@company.com"),Trim("name2@company.com"),Trim("name3@company.com"))

It would probably be preferable to use the first formula if you could get it fixed because the "in" operator is not always delegatable and may produce a warning.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @lawsonbe2018,

The difference between the two formulas is that the first one requires that the User().email is identical to name1@company.com while the second one only requires that User().email is contained within the text "name1@company.com" of one of the elements in the right side of the comparison .  One reason for this behaviour is that there is a leading or following blank space that makes the two expressions look the same but are not actually identical.  One way to elimiante this possibility is to use the Trim() function on both sides and see if it works.  You could also parse your expressions by getting rid of the "It(), true,false)" since the result of the formula reduces to either true or false anyway.  If you have more than one comparison, you can wrap them all in one Or() function also instead of using ||.   

Trim(User().email) = Or(Trim("name1@company.com"),Trim("name2@company.com"),Trim("name3@company.com"))

It would probably be preferable to use the first formula if you could get it fixed because the "in" operator is not always delegatable and may produce a warning.

lawsonbe2018
Level: Powered On

Thank you for the response. That makes a great deal of sense. Is there a single resource that gives you correct information about these type of syntax issues or have you just come by this knowledge through trial and error?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

A little of both. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/formula-reference will give you the syntax for all PowerApps functions. My experience with database design in MS Access helped and the videos and posts on the forum community blog are also great resources. Some of the resources to look for are from @KroonOfficeSol, @Meneghino, @Shanescows and @Audrie-MSFT.  I think those are the ones that helped me get started.  Since then I think I learned more by researching and finding answers for other forum posters like yourself. 

We are all students here. Some are a just little further down the path.