cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mitchgramazio
Level: Powered On

Patching Updated Data to Excel Multiple Times

Hello!

It's been awhile since I've touched PowerApps (not my main job at my profession, so project was put on hold). Currently I'm in a bind.

I'm utilizing an Excel Connection on a cloud platform to log some information that happens on a specific day. When the user hit's Submit, it should write a new line on the spreadsheet for that day, however, I would like the user to be able to "Submit" the form multiple times a day, only adding the new information to the matching/existing "Date" item. As I understand it, using UpdateContext is for collections and I have no experience currently using collections - I am trying to keep all this info on the excel spreadsheet.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Patching Updated Data to Excel Multiple Times

The UpdateContext() creates or updates a context variable. If you want to create or update an item in a collection or a data source then you will want to look at the Patch(). The parameters for the Patch() are a little different depending on if you are adding a new item or updating an existing item. The link below explains how the Patch() works.

Patch function in PowerApps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Mitchgramazio
Level: Powered On

Re: Patching Updated Data to Excel Multiple Times

Is this easy to implement if I am utilizing the SubmitForm() function? Ideally, I just hit the "submit" button once and it either Creates or Updates the record, depending on if there is already a value for the specified date or not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 221 members 2,539 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: