cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJ2
Level: Powered On

Set default value for a drop down in a new form

Hello,

I'm new to PowerApps and have read several differnt solutions to this issue, but can't get it to work.

I've created a custom form for a SharePoint list, and need it to pull in a default value for 2 different columns when a new item is created. The first column is called "Priority" and the the default choice is TBD. The second column is "Request Priority Change" and the default should be "N/A". How do I get these to populate? Please Help. Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

Re: Set default value for a drop down in a new form

@AJ2

When you create a form and connect this to a sharepoint list then PowerApps created dropdown controls automaticly in the form. For the items you have a formula like Choice().

What you should do is copy this Choice() then past this in the DropDown.Defaults. Surround this by a LookUp() formula and add the conditions you like to find. So something like

LookUp(Choice(Priority), YourField = "TBD")

Hope this helps.

Paul

AJ2

Thanks for your response. I'm really new to this. Where do I find the drop down default?  Is that on the data card for the column I'm adding the default to?

AJ2

I need some more guidance please. The formula provided doesn't seem to be valid. Perhaps I"m putting it in the wrong place?

screenshot.png

KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

@AJ2

I think you need to give back a string (don't use the dropdown control a lot). So try this:

LookUp(Choice(Priority), Priority = "TBD").Priority

Let us know if this works?

Paul

AJ2

It's still not a valid formula.

KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

@AJ2 wrote:

I need some more guidance please. The formula provided doesn't seem to be valid. Perhaps I"m putting it in the wrong place?

screenshot.png

@AJ2

Take a look at this again. Don't know if you already figure it out, but I think the error comes from you trying to change the default of the DataCard itself. The dropdown/combobox is populated with the default records, in this case a table of records.

Te formula you should use on the dropdown.default/combobox.DefaultSelectedItems. First look at the formula which is in there now, copy this formula to the .Default and surround this by the LookUp() formula with the proper condition. Should work then.

Hope this helps,

Paul

AJ2

Thank you Paul. I don't know what the combobox is or where to find it. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of what you're talking about? I can't seem to find an explanation or any images online.

KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

screenshot.png
You have the formula on the DataCard (Red) but put it on the control in the DataCard (Blue). This is the control you select as a user!

btw, if you don't know what controls are, like Label, TextInput, Dropdown, ComboBox, Gallery, Form, etc., you have a big problem comprehending PowerApps or Programming in general. Next time better first try to google the word to see if you can understand what they are ;-)

Hope this clears things,

Paul