cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrickabel
Level: Powered On

SharePoint Column Delegation Issue with Filtering text "In" Title

Hello All,

I am working with a SharePoint list that will routinely have 2000+ items in it. Because of this, I'm looking for ways to filter these results and am running into delegation issues. Because of the issues I'm seeing, I'm starting to question Microsoft's documentation on delegation.

To start, I'm trying to filter my SharePoint list datasource where text specified in a textbox is "in" the list item's Title. MS' documentation says the "In" operator can be delegated and the Title field is simply text. Why am I seeing warnings here?

Screenshot_207.png

Likewise, when I try and filter based on a date-time field in SharePoint, I see delegation issues regardless of the filters I'm using. Thoughts?

Screenshot_208.png

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: SharePoint Column Delegation Issue with Filtering text "In" Title

Hi @patrickabel 

Please check out this thread. Collections-maxes-out-at-2000-when-populating-with-SharePoint/ The way to get around it is to use a collection created from the SharePoint list.  

patrickabel

Thanks for the feedback! However, I had already come across this thread and this recommendation is only going to work if I have <= 4,000 records. What if I have 4,500, 6,000, or 8,000?

This still doesn't help explain for me why a simple text filter doesn't work when it comes to delegation. Any thoughts there?

Super User
Super User

Hi @patrickabel 

If your list exceeds 4k you probably need to consider using Sql or CDS as your connector.  There are ways to get around it but they are quite complex and will introduce performance issues.  I faced a similar situation when I moved my Access WebApp over to SharePoint/PowerApps and ultimately went to CDS.  I had 8k clients with 26k encounters.

patrickabel

@Drrickryp thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on why my specific delegation queries aren't working? I would expect a static text-based filter to handle delgation to the backend datasource without issue.

I don't need to retrieve 2000+ records if filter delgation is working, but right now my filters aren't being done server-side before the 500-2000 items are returned to PAs.

Super User
Super User

Hi @patrickabel 

Despite what the documentation shows the "in" operator does not work correctly in SharePoint.  The combination of Filter() and StartsWith() is the way PowerApps deals with the problem.