cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating item in powerapps creating a new one in sharepoint list

I have a survey which has 15 screens and when i try to update an existing survey item in powerapps, its creating a new item in sharepoint list, let me know what is missing in the below submit button formular

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Updating item in powerapps creating a new one in sharepoint list

The second parameter of Patch() determines if it is going update an item or create a new one. In your formula you are using Defaults() which tells Patch to create a new item. If you want patch to update an existing record you need to pass it the record it needs to update instead of Defaults().

For example: Patch('Data Source', BrowseGallery1.Selected, { Flavor: “Strawberry” })

The Item property of one of your edit forms should show you the base record.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly.
If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

The second parameter of Patch() determines if it is going update an item or create a new one. In your formula you are using Defaults() which tells Patch to create a new item. If you want patch to update an existing record you need to pass it the record it needs to update instead of Defaults().

For example: Patch('Data Source', BrowseGallery1.Selected, { Flavor: “Strawberry” })

The Item property of one of your edit forms should show you the base record.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have added it in my submit but its not creating an item now, do i want to do if else for form mode and add the shown formula inside the if condition?

Untitled.png

Super User
Super User

Since the Patch formula is different for Update vs New you will want an If statement to determine which Patch formula to run.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That works!, thank you for your help