cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dyee4613
Level: Powered On

Aesthetic Forms - Templates/Design Ideas

For the most part, I have been able to put all of my ideal functionality into the PowerApps forms but the area that I'm not really improving in is my forms.  I wanted to know if there is anywhere I could go outside of the templates to get a better idea on how to design a visually appealing form or tips to enhance.  

Is there a section of this site/other sites where I can look at showcases where people show off the apps they have made?  I know there is the templates section but I was looking for something a bit more expansive.  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
seadude
Level 8

Re: Aesthetic Forms - Templates/Design Ideas

Another idea is to:
- Find your FAVORITE looking form/web app on the internet. Search for things like “2018 UI / UX awards” etc. Really try to find the most inspiring apps out there.
- Then screenshot them.
- Choose one that fits your idea for a particular app.
- Upload the image to your app via File/Media/Browser.
- Insert an Image Control and set the Image Property to the screenshot you saved to the app.
- Stretch the screenshot and size ir right.
- Trace the elements you want to emulate using the shape Icons, dropdown controls, labels, etc.
- You don’t necessarily have to use a Form control to build forms in PowerApps. It is possible to manually wire up the UI elements into a more flexible layout.
- The major benefits of the Form control are speed and error handling. You can slap in a 40 question Form in a minute using a Form control. That would take you 30 minutes to create manually. Also Forms can access Parent.Error and the other Error Properties that aren’t exposed in non-Form controls. This built in logic can be painful to build and maintain manually.
- Also forms have the SubmitForm() function which can be quite a challenge to duplicate with Patch().
- If you don’t want to wire up your own form, consider using “sub forms” throughout your app. Basically having multiple Form controls using the same Data Source. This can compartmentalize your screens a bit more so it’s not just a big gangly form.
- I would also love to see more examples of PowerApps Form UI/UX. Let’s put some up in the Community Gallery!
7 REPLIES 7
KickingApps
Level 8

@dyee4613 I have been researching UI/UX best practices.  There is a great deal of information if you simply type UI/UX form design into google you will discover many blogs, resources.  UX Collective is an excellent starting point. Good luck!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @dyee4613,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Could you please share a bit more about the PowerApps forms?

Further, do you want to custom a PowerApps form template?

If you want to custom a PowerApps form template, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
dyee4613
Level: Powered On

Scenario - I'm building a series of forms for our safety division. The issue I'm having is that while the forms are functional they look tacky. I was hoping to leverage the creativity from other users to get inspiration for design tips to make it looks less clunky. PowerApp Form - I'm not sure what you're asking here. I don't want a custom template. I'm not that blessed in the UX/UI department so when I build excel spreadsheets I usually look at other spreadsheets and try to copy my favorite design elements from them. I'm sure there are a lot of people who use PowerApps with considerably more design experience and I was hoping to find somewhere that shows off some of the beautiful apps out there for ideas that I can use to improve the visuals of my app.
kknowles
Level: Power Up

She wants a better looking app. It's great that it's so easy to put together an app but the end look on a pc is is underwhelming. Powerapps needs to add some visually appealing ui design options. How could you not get this?
kknowles

She wants a better looking app. It's great that it's so easy to put together an app but the end look on a pc is is underwhelming. Powerapps needs to add some visually appealing ui design options. How could you not get this?
Highlighted
seadude
Level 8

Another idea is to:
- Find your FAVORITE looking form/web app on the internet. Search for things like “2018 UI / UX awards” etc. Really try to find the most inspiring apps out there.
- Then screenshot them.
- Choose one that fits your idea for a particular app.
- Upload the image to your app via File/Media/Browser.
- Insert an Image Control and set the Image Property to the screenshot you saved to the app.
- Stretch the screenshot and size ir right.
- Trace the elements you want to emulate using the shape Icons, dropdown controls, labels, etc.
- You don’t necessarily have to use a Form control to build forms in PowerApps. It is possible to manually wire up the UI elements into a more flexible layout.
- The major benefits of the Form control are speed and error handling. You can slap in a 40 question Form in a minute using a Form control. That would take you 30 minutes to create manually. Also Forms can access Parent.Error and the other Error Properties that aren’t exposed in non-Form controls. This built in logic can be painful to build and maintain manually.
- Also forms have the SubmitForm() function which can be quite a challenge to duplicate with Patch().
- If you don’t want to wire up your own form, consider using “sub forms” throughout your app. Basically having multiple Form controls using the same Data Source. This can compartmentalize your screens a bit more so it’s not just a big gangly form.
- I would also love to see more examples of PowerApps Form UI/UX. Let’s put some up in the Community Gallery!
kknowles

Thanks, these are great ideas.  I'd like to make powerapps work but the learning curve and design challenges are high.  I've watched a bunch of youtube videos but get lost attempting to put something together outside the model option.