cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Foots002
Level: Powered On

An error occurred on the server. Server Repsonse: Not a valid connector Error response.

Hello,

Let me first say that the app is working 100% as intended and everything is happy except for this error banner that occurs on startup exactly once.

For a little background, I'm definitely a citizen developer, but have built enough PowerApps to feel very comfortable in the platform.  I've tried a bunch of things to pinpoint the issue and I'm starting to believe this may be a bigger issue than something in my app in particular.

Screenshot_2019-08-24-10-32-15.png

The symptom on mobile is worse than in a chrome browser on desktop.  On mobile the red banner stays, but on the desktop, it shows up for less than half of a second.

Here's the JS Console Log from Chrome:

PAError-JSconsoleLog.png

The Red Error message in the browsers seems to pop up at the same time as when: "[Violation]  'readystatechange' handler took 212ms" is logged.

Let me restate that everything works 100% as intended, but I get this ugly error.  Everything works beautifully in the studio editor and there are No Errors in the App Checker.

I've eliminated all of my connectors and have been able to specify that it is a particular connection to a specific SPO List.  This is extra strange because I have an older version of this app that talks to the same SPO List and works in the same ways that does NOT exhibit any errors or issues of any kind.  Including date based filtering that seems to be flagging as an error in Fiddler.

Fiddler seems to be showing me this error: 
GET: 

/apim/sharepointonline/55b209064f5f4b3ba0d2620a36b41fff/datasets/https%253A%252F%252Ftwdc.sharepoint.com%252Fsites%252FWDPR-DPLE-ANA%252FTFR/tables/14247f02-1923-409b-9529-209303ba87a6/items?%24filter=%28null+eq+Title%29and%28%27%27+eq+Scheduled_Date%29&%24top=1

RESPONSE:

"message": "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.\r\nclientRequestId: 111adf8e-c526-49d1-ac0f-963c6d36eece\r\nserviceRequestId: 111adf8e-c526-49d1-ac0f-963c6d36eece"

Now this is VERY strange because I've changed my code to create collections then do all of my time based filtering in the powerapp itself without calling back to the SPO List directly.  Let me also state that the app works as intended.  I've run into all sorts of quirks with DateTime fields and Boolean (Yes/No) fields in SPO and PowerApps.  Frequently it will flag "data type mismatch" but works exactly as it's supposed to.  Then I will fix the formula to make the data types match and then the filter fails to perform as intended.

Here's my list of connectors.  TFR is the one that is creating the error.  I have removed and readded each of these many times.

connectorList.png

Help me @mrdang, you're my only hope!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Foots002

Re: An error occurred on the server. Server Repsonse: Not a valid connector Error response.

I've done a little more digging and have been able to stop the error.  It seems to be tied to a few LookUp functions that aren't on the original screen.  In order to get the LookUps to work with a date filter, I had to convert the date to a string in order for the filter to return any results.  In the date data type, the filter wouldn't work.

LookUp(SPO_List_Name,Project_Name = Title && Text(ThisItem.Shift_Start_Date,DateTimeFormat.ShortDate) = Scheduled_Date,Work_Scope)

This causes a warning triangle, but I've run into this many times before.

So I have a few questions.

1.) Why doesn't a date format filter work on a date format column in SPO?  Why did I need to convert to text to get the filter to work.  I tried a lot of combinations and this was the only thing that worked.

2.) Since this workaround is being treated like an error, why doesn't the error show up in the Editor?  It shows a yellow triangle for data mismatch and delegation isssues, but doesn't show a red dot with a white "x".  This made troubleshooting much more difficult.

3.) Why is this error happening when the app loads?  As far as I understand, PowerApps has been optimized so that only screens that are actively being used are loaded.  These LookUps that were giving me trouble are not on the first screen.  I think I just don't understand how PA is making data calls to the server and would love some explanation.

4.) What's the difference between LookUp() and First(Filter()).  I usually use First(Filter()) and have never run into something like this.  In fact, I just tested it and where LookUp was giving me this error, First(Filter()) has worked beautifully.  Can anyone say decisively if it's a cleaner function?  Perhaps I will only use First(Filter()) from now on...

2 REPLIES 2
Foots002

Re: An error occurred on the server. Server Repsonse: Not a valid connector Error response.

I've done a little more digging and have been able to stop the error.  It seems to be tied to a few LookUp functions that aren't on the original screen.  In order to get the LookUps to work with a date filter, I had to convert the date to a string in order for the filter to return any results.  In the date data type, the filter wouldn't work.

LookUp(SPO_List_Name,Project_Name = Title && Text(ThisItem.Shift_Start_Date,DateTimeFormat.ShortDate) = Scheduled_Date,Work_Scope)

This causes a warning triangle, but I've run into this many times before.

So I have a few questions.

1.) Why doesn't a date format filter work on a date format column in SPO?  Why did I need to convert to text to get the filter to work.  I tried a lot of combinations and this was the only thing that worked.

2.) Since this workaround is being treated like an error, why doesn't the error show up in the Editor?  It shows a yellow triangle for data mismatch and delegation isssues, but doesn't show a red dot with a white "x".  This made troubleshooting much more difficult.

3.) Why is this error happening when the app loads?  As far as I understand, PowerApps has been optimized so that only screens that are actively being used are loaded.  These LookUps that were giving me trouble are not on the first screen.  I think I just don't understand how PA is making data calls to the server and would love some explanation.

4.) What's the difference between LookUp() and First(Filter()).  I usually use First(Filter()) and have never run into something like this.  In fact, I just tested it and where LookUp was giving me this error, First(Filter()) has worked beautifully.  Can anyone say decisively if it's a cleaner function?  Perhaps I will only use First(Filter()) from now on...

Foots002

My First(Filter()) hunch was incorrect.  Seems like this error doesn't flag when it's referencing a collection instead of the SPO List datasource.  I'll just use that as the workaround.  Still would love to know why a datepicker can't equal a date column in SPO.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 219 members 4,110 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: