"programProfit": 0,
            "hmcProfit": 0
          }
        }
	]
	}
  ]
}

I am able to bind the children to a gallery in PowerApps, but I am not able to bind the amounts such as netSales, netRevenue, etc. I expected something like amounts.netSales....but that does not work!

Also....is there a limitation on nesting galleries? I am not able to nest in a screen more than two galleries deep...the third one does not let me place it inside the parent gallery!!

Really appreciate any help. I tried PP before....but now I have a real app I would like to try it for.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Re: Binding data from a custom connection

In your schema, it looks like "amounts" is a record, not a table. Just curious, why are you trying to nest 3 levels deep? If you bind an inner gallery to "weeks", you should be able to access netSales, etc. as:

ThisItem.amounts.netSales

Yes, there are limits on nesting galleries. Each additional nesting level increases the algorithmic complexity of the outer gallery itself by a factor of N. So for example a gallery that is 2 levels deep will have an algorithmic complexity of O(N^2); a gallery that's 5 levels deep would have an algorithmic complexity of O(N^5); and so on.

If you need to "reach" and render data that is more than 2 levels deep, I recommend that you either flatten it, or transform it via a formula (e.g. using functions such as AddColumns, Ungroup, etc) to bring that "deep" data up. Also, instead of nesting galleries, I recommend chaining them, so that the result of a gallery flows into the input of a subsequent one, which in turns flows into another one, etc -- effectively allowing you to maintain < O(N^2) algorithmic complexity, for very obvious performance and scalability reasons.

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
2 REPLIES 2
PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

In your schema, it looks like "amounts" is a record, not a table. Just curious, why are you trying to nest 3 levels deep? If you bind an inner gallery to "weeks", you should be able to access netSales, etc. as:

ThisItem.amounts.netSales

Yes, there are limits on nesting galleries. Each additional nesting level increases the algorithmic complexity of the outer gallery itself by a factor of N. So for example a gallery that is 2 levels deep will have an algorithmic complexity of O(N^2); a gallery that's 5 levels deep would have an algorithmic complexity of O(N^5); and so on.

If you need to "reach" and render data that is more than 2 levels deep, I recommend that you either flatten it, or transform it via a formula (e.g. using functions such as AddColumns, Ungroup, etc) to bring that "deep" data up. Also, instead of nesting galleries, I recommend chaining them, so that the result of a gallery flows into the input of a subsequent one, which in turns flows into another one, etc -- effectively allowing you to maintain < O(N^2) algorithmic complexity, for very obvious performance and scalability reasons.

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
khaledhikmat
Level: Powered On

Yes...thank you for the AddColumns function. I got most everythiung to work now.