cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericonline
Level 10

CUSTOM CONNECTOR: API call returns blank array.

Hello,

I just created a custom connector. In the connector "Test" area, I receive a Status 200, success:

azureBlank1.png

In the app, I have the following code OnSelect of a button control: 

ClearCollect(azureTest, azureMapTimezone.AzureMaps(
    "1.0", {query: Location.Latitude & "," & Location.Longitude})
)

The query seems to run without error, but returns a blank collection: 

azureBlank.png
Troubleshooting so far: 

- Closed/Reopened app

- Removed/Added the connector from Data Sources

- Deleted/Reconnected the connection

- Tried Custom Connector in a brand new app, same result. (thanks @KickingApps!)

- Tried BOTH Chrome and IE (thanks Tricia!)

- Deleted/Recreated the Custom Connector (thanks persistence!)

- Tried every variation of Location.Latitude & "," & Location.Longitude I could think of including:

- LatLong.Text (where the above is placed in a Label control)
    - Concatenate(Text(Location.Latitude), , , Text(Location.Longitude) )

What am I missing here?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ericonline
Level 10

Re: CUSTOM CONNECTOR: API call returns blank array.

Aight, well... 

• Deleted Custom Connector
  • Deleted all Connections to Connector
  • Recreated the exact same way I did before
  • Then I just waited..... for like 2 hours before testing....

2018-12-14_13-35-05.png

Unsolved mystery!

5 REPLIES 5
ericonline
Level 10

This is driving me nuts. If the custom connector works in the "Test" area, it most certainly should work in the app! Whats the deal?

Super User
Super User

Hi @ericonline

Sorry to hear how much this is driving you crazy!
With AzureMaps, it appears you have to provide the API Key in the URI, and I couldn't find a way to avoid this by using OAuth authentication.
In the Test area, I suspect the test page picks up the API key from the test arguments that you supply. I suspect this is missing when you call the API from PowerApps, and this is the cause of the problem.

Anyway, I've added a bit more detail in your other post here....

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/JSON-SCHEMA-Which-is-correct/m-p/192517/highl...

ericonline
Level 10

Aight, well... 

• Deleted Custom Connector
  • Deleted all Connections to Connector
  • Recreated the exact same way I did before
  • Then I just waited..... for like 2 hours before testing....

2018-12-14_13-35-05.png

Unsolved mystery!

Super User
Super User

Hi @ericonline

I'm glad this is working for you now! However, it would be great if someone could offer a plausible explanation as to why this happened. I noticed this afternoon that if I passed invalid arguments (eg, an invalid query or APIKey), PowerApps would report the error.

AzureFailure.png

In your case, this didn't happen so maybe there was some corruption in the connector which prevented it from calling the Azure web service alltogether? If it were the case that Azure was down, I'd imagine we would have seen a 500 or 404 error in PowerApps. What is clear however is that diagnosing these kinds of problems is really difficult! There have been times when I've even struggled to diagnose failures in the test page due to lack of detail.

I hope this custom connector continues to work reliably for you and that you don't have a repetition of this problem!

ericonline
Level 10

Thanks @timl. I think we are witnessing the very nature of the animal we’ve chosen to tame:
This low code platform provides incredible opportunities for rapid development, rapid deployment and innovation that I’m VERY grateful for.
In return for the additional layer of abstraction (or two) that makes this all possible, I (my org) give up the ability to “get my hands in there”.