cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankKelly84
Level: Powered On

Changing if a field is required

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to PowerApps. I'm trying to make a textbox field required, but only if certain items are selected in a seperate combobox.

I have this in the OnChange method of the combobox:

If("*" in ComboBox.SelectedItems.Value, DataCard3.Required=true, DataCard3.Required=false)

The idea is that, if there is an asterisk in the name of any of the selected items, DataCard3 should be required. Otherwise not. I can't seem to figure it out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FrankKelly84

Re: Changing if a field is required

A little bit of a hack, but I got it working with this:

If(CountIf(DataCardValue.SelectedItems,Right(Value,1)="*")>0, UpdateContext({isRequired:true}), UpdateContext({MMRequired:false}))

An asterisk is placed at the end of any ComboBox entry that should make the textbox required.

isRequired is the true/false value in the 'Required' property of the textbox to be required or not required.

It essentially counts the number of table entries from SelectedItems that end in *, and if any of them do (more than 0), it sets isRequired to true.

3 REPLIES 3
TimRohr
Level 10

You have to pass the settings through a variable. Try with a Context Variable.

In the OnChange of the combobox, try something like:

UpdateContext({DataCard3Req:!IsBlank(ComboBox1)})

This flips a context variable named "DataCard3Req" (name it what you want) to be the OPPOSITE of the result of the IsBlank() function. So if the combobox (which I'm imagining being named "ComboBox1") is blank, we set the DataCard3Req to be 'false'.

Then set the Required property of DataCard3 to be "DataCard3Req" (or whatever you named your context variable). You might have to unlock the card to set the property.

(By the way, as good as PowerApps is with chasing your name changes throughout your code, changing every code reference to the control, it won't change the variable name... just another reason to rename your DataCard to have a meaningful name, so that your context variable can have a meaningful name, too).

FrankKelly84

Thank you for the reply. UpdateContext is probably the right way to go. The problem is that I don't want every item in the combobox to change to change 'required' to true, only if an item in the combox contains an asterisk.

I've gotten to this (with isRequired as the boolean variable in the textbox's required property):

If("*" in ComboBox.SelectedItems.Value, UpdateContext({isRequired:true}), UpdateContext({isRequired:false}))

Any help is appreciated. Thanks again

FrankKelly84

A little bit of a hack, but I got it working with this:

If(CountIf(DataCardValue.SelectedItems,Right(Value,1)="*")>0, UpdateContext({isRequired:true}), UpdateContext({MMRequired:false}))

An asterisk is placed at the end of any ComboBox entry that should make the textbox required.

isRequired is the true/false value in the 'Required' property of the textbox to be required or not required.

It essentially counts the number of table entries from SelectedItems that end in *, and if any of them do (more than 0), it sets isRequired to true.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Tomorrow, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 210 members 4,777 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: