cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelly
Level: Powered On

Combobox items: property expects table values, but this rule produces incompatible text values

I have a custom connector that works through an on premises gateway to a local API.  The connector is called A - it has an action called B with an ID of C.  The connector tests OK and returns correct data.  (The Postman call is A/B?C=sometext) where sometext is a piece of text the API will search for in certain fields).  Now I am trying to use this in a combobox.  The idea being that the user will type in some text and the combobox choices will then be the returned values.  I dont get the syntax needed for the Items property.  By choosing from the hints I fill in this far: "A.B({C:".  Can someone please tell me how to complete the fx line - what comes after the colon.  I assume I have to somehow refer to the text the user types in?  I tried "A.B({C:Text})".  This imediately gives the above error.  I have spent some time googling this but do not know the correct question to ask.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Combobox items: property expects table values, but this rule produces incompatible text values

Hi @shelly

To diagnose this, I would add a button and collect the API result to a collection like so:

ClearCollect(myCollection, 
A.B({C:"YourSearchText"})
)

Once you do this, you can examine how the return value looks via the File > Collections menu item. I suspect the return value contains a scalar value, rather than the multiple result set that is needed to populate the items of a Combobox. If you could post a screenshot of this here, I'm sure someone could advise you of the correct syntax to use. 

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Combobox items: property expects table values, but this rule produces incompatible text values

Hi @shelly thank you for posting in the community and I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. 

Can you review the reply from @timl and update the thread?

@TopShelf-MSFT

shelly
Level: Powered On

Hi

Thank you for your reply.  I appologise for going dark for some days.  Attached  (myCollection.jpg) is a screenshot of my collection.  This collection has about 50 fields.  It only shows me the top 5 records, but I can see they are not what would be returned if the search field was being transmitted to the API.  The fact that it took about a minute for the collection to be returned, tells me this collection is fetching all 45000 records from the API.  The code on my button is:  ClearCollect(myCollection, CoredataService.Project({fullName:"Image"}))

The second attachment "Connection test.jpg" is a screenshot of what is returned when I Test the operation of the Custom connector being used in the form.  This by the way, runs in milliseconds - seems instant.  It only returns the few projects whose name contains the text "Image"

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 4,297 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: