cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShawnLJ
Level: Powered On

Re: Creating an app that only shows user information

Just two things. The first is the search option. So with Excel as the data source the equation lets me search mutliple criteria where when data is pulled from Sharepoint it only lets me search one thing, like their name. Second is that I am not sure how to set up a security feature with Sharepoint where no one can have access to the data in the Sharepoint list excep admins but still be able to see what is in the App. 

ShawnLJ

Rebetcha
Level 8

Role Based Security as described in the article that was mentioned earlier in this thread does not depend on using Excel or SharePoint List.
Regarding the possibility to use multiple search criteria, I do not understand why you could not do that using SharePoint.
ShawnLJ

So if you create a blank Powerapp from scratch with data using Excel then create one using Sharepoint you will see within the Browse gallary page within the search bar equation that they are different. With the excel one you can add multiple criteria to have it search where as the Sharepoing equation only allows for one search criteria to be used. 

Highlighted
Rebetcha
Level 8

He @ShawnLJ,

Better a late reply then never. Smiley Wink

My conclusion is that the difference you describe is a result a lack of consistency by Microsoft in the formulas used in the making of the apps for different data sources.

You can as a fact use multiple criteria in a formula to filter SharePoint data. You just have to change the formula yourself. 

I have made an app where I use this method with SharePoint data and it works as a charm. 

The formula looks something like this:

Search([Datasource],[Search input reference],"Column1","Column2","Column3")

So, the search formula searches for the search text in multiple columnsin the datasource.

More info about the formula you can find here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/functions/function-filter-lookup.

ShawnLJ

Thank you for the update!

I must be missing something when I am trying to get this done. 

So it would be 

Search(Datasource), Row1, "Column names")

Not sure what to put for Search Input Reference

Rebetcha
Level 8

The Search Input Reference is the reference to the text value of the text input used for entering a search term. The search function will be part of the function in the items property of a gallery.
What you say with the function is that you want to limit the items shown in the gallery to items where the text typed in the search box is found in the collumns named in the formula.
ShawnLJ

Okay that makes sense thank you!

Search('succession program',TextSearchBox1,"{Name}","Position","Knowledge_x002c__x0020_Skills_x0")

that is what I have as my equation but it is still not working fully. 

pic.png

Rebetcha
Level 8

Sorry that it took so long to respond. In your formula you reference the search box control instead of the text inside the control. Look what happens if you add .text behind TextSearchBox1 >>> TextSearchBox1.text.
And are you sure "{Name}" is the correct name for a column?
ShawnLJ

Well hello, 

I logged back in to try it out. I am thinking I am close, I must just be missing something small here. 

help.JPG