cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DiptimanMitra
Level: Powered On

Customising Shoutout Template to use SQLServer

Hi Team,

I'm trying to replace excel data source to SQL Server on-prem.

My table is created and I have tested creating sample app using that datasource and it works.

But, trying to do the same I face issue 

1. “An entry is required or has invalid value” exception.

2. I'm trying to store image that user choose into a Blob object in SQL Server. That's not working even in sample app I have created.

Can you please help. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Customising Shoutout Template to use SQLServer

The Error message means there are fields not filled right in your code.

For SQL Server to work, the Primary Key is needed when creating new records, further, make sure the data inputted would meet the field requirements defined in your SQL Table.

For how to work with SQL Server, see:

Connect to SQL Server from PowerApps

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Hi @DiptimanMitra

If you still have issues after adding a primary key (as @v-micsh-msft suggests) you may also want to try adding a TimeStamp field to your SQL Server table. I have had issues in the past with both Access and PowerApps which were resolved by adding a TimeStamp field, so I now add one to every table as a matter of course... so to be fair, that issue might be resolved but I'm not going to remove my TimeStamp fields to check Smiley Happy 

DiptimanMitra

@PaulD1 @v-micsh-msft

I'm able to fix issue 1.

But, still storing Blob object into DB is failing. Nothing is getting stored.

mbutterz

I've connected the Shoutouts app to a SQL database but the data isn't going in to it.

There's already a PrimaryID field so not sure why it's not going in!

mogulman
Level 8

If you are using on-premise SQL Server I recommend using SQL Profiler to see what is going on.  Connect to database, setup app to save blob, clear Profiler, execute save and look at results.  I general copy the save SQL in Profiler to SSMS and execute query.  I've used this technique numerous times with great success. 

PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

I wrote a post at https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/converting-the-shoutouts-template-to-sql-server/ with detailed instructions on how to do this customization, please take a look and hope this helps!

mbutterz

Thanks @CarlosFigueira, it's an interesting read.

The issue we have is finding the gateway - when I install a gateway on my local machine PowerApps can find it, however when I install a gateway on another server it can't find it to connect to it. Any ideas?

PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

@mbutterz not sure about the problem with the Gateway. I know that there's currently an issue that updates to SQL tables don't get propagated quickly, but it doesn't sound related. I'd suggest you created a new thread with this case, as there may be people that know more about the gateway than about customizing a template.

mbutterz

Hi @CarlosFigueira

I'm just going through your blog post now and some of your instructions don't match up with what i'm seeing. Perhaps the template has been updated since I last started working on it.

For example the names of the galleries are different, and there are no OnVisible properties for the SentConfirmationScreen.

EDIT: I went back to the templates and created a fresh app from the Shoutouts template, and it seems it has been updated since I last created it. However when I set it up I can't click on anything or send any Shoutouts!

Honestly I can't begin to tell you how long i've spent trying to make this most basic of apps do what I want it to do. 

PowerApps is supposed to enable us to create enterprise apps and yet i've had to trawl forums and youtube videos and make numerous help desk calls to microsoft just to make the bloody things work!

It's incredibly frustrating and frankly the time we all spend making these apps work we might as well just fork out and pay for a more professional and polished third-party app that just does what it's supposed to do!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

Follow PowerApps on Twitter

Stay Up-to-Date by following PowerApps on Twitter

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 63 members 3,917 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: