cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mminar
Level: Power Up

Data from properly formatted tables in Excel does not show in PowerApps list screen

Hi all:

I've recently ran into an issue where data from an Excel 2016 Workbook was not showing up in a PowerApp app.

My Excel workbook consists of four sheets, each with their own (properly formatted) table (verified in Name Manager).

To create my problem I did the following:

1. In Tree View, Data Source > Connectors > OneDrive for Business, then selected my Excel file
  2. Insert > New Screen > List
  3. In Tree View, selected Screen > BrowseGallery
  4. PowerApps now prompts to connect to an existing data source, but you may also be able to select this using the Gallery > Properties > Data source field pane on the righthand side
  5. Data (observations) do not show, but the column headers of my table do.
  6. Tried for other tables in the same Excel workbook, but same problem.

My Excel workbook:

1. Has hidden columns
  2. Comments
  3. Calculated fields (specifically concatenating First Names + Last Names into a Full Name field)
  4. Data validation (pointers to other table columns using the `INDIRECT("TableName[ColumnName]")` method)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mminar

Re: Data from properly formatted tables in Excel does not show in PowerApps list screen

I'm posting my own solution to help anyone with a similar problem in the future.

I was able to see my data after I simplified my workbook in Excel. Here is what I did

• In Excel 2016:
  • Removed calculated fields (I'm still looking for a workaround for this)
  • Executed "check for issues" by going to File > Info > Check For Issues
  • Several problems were noted: I opted to remove comments, hidden columns, etc. All of the aspects now showed a green checkmark.
  • Saved and closed the file
  • In PowerApp:
  • I started a new empty app and proceeded to add a data source: Data sources > Connectors > OneDrive for Business > My Excel Table
  • Then, Insert > New Screen > List
  • Clicking on BrowseGallery in TreeView now prompts for a data connection, and selecting my table now shows the data
1 REPLY 1
mminar

Re: Data from properly formatted tables in Excel does not show in PowerApps list screen

I'm posting my own solution to help anyone with a similar problem in the future.

I was able to see my data after I simplified my workbook in Excel. Here is what I did

• In Excel 2016:
  • Removed calculated fields (I'm still looking for a workaround for this)
  • Executed "check for issues" by going to File > Info > Check For Issues
  • Several problems were noted: I opted to remove comments, hidden columns, etc. All of the aspects now showed a green checkmark.
  • Saved and closed the file
  • In PowerApp:
  • I started a new empty app and proceeded to add a data source: Data sources > Connectors > OneDrive for Business > My Excel Table
  • Then, Insert > New Screen > List
  • Clicking on BrowseGallery in TreeView now prompts for a data connection, and selecting my table now shows the data

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 4,699 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: