cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianSlalom
Level: Powered On

Data integration with CDS, error loading from Excel

I am trying to use PowerQuery to load data from an Excel file. I am getting this very generic error.

Load to Common Data Service failed. Details: [(PQOnline failure - The powerquery job failed with error: Exception ExceptionType:MashupEvaluationException, ExceptionMessage:We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation., EvaluationResponse:{"ResultType":"Exception","Message":"We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.","Errors":[]})], One or more errors occurred.. (Job ID: 8d13a76f-30e0-42f8-bca6-34ad188ed773)

I have checked that the data types are consistent and the data is not being truncated.

Any ideas what the problem may be or how to get more information for this error?

Thanks,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
BrianSlalom

Re: Data integration with CDS, error loading from Excel

I discovered how to get more detail about the import errors. If you go to Data Integration under Data in the left nav, you should be able to find the project which was generated when you created the import. They are given generic names, like Project 1, but you can open the results of the runs using the … menu and figure out which one is your correct run and drill down for details of the errors. You can rename these data integration projects, edit them, and rerun them.
4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @BrianSlalom,

Could you please share more details about the error message on your side?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The GIF screenshot as below:Test1.gif

Please check if you have provided proper File Path or Url when you load data from an Excel file using PowerQuery. The standard File Path or Url format as below:

https://xxxxxx-my.sharepoint.com/personal/test1_xxxxxx_xxmicrosoft_com/Documents/Directory%20C/Volunteers.xlsx

Note: The test1_xxxxxx_xxmicrosoft_com represents your email address.

In addition, please take a try to clear cache of your browser, and then try it again to check if the issue is solved. Also please check if you have provided proper credential for this conneciton.

If the issue still exists, you could consider take a try to load data from a web page instead of Excel as below:11.JPG

Then within the URL box, type the File Path or Url of your Excel file, and provide your credentials for this connection:12.JPG

More details about load data from a Web page using PowerQuery within CDS, please check and see if the following article would help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BrianSlalom

The data shows up in the preview in the load window so the url is correct.

Clearing my browser cache did not make a difference.

As a test I tried loading the attached spreadsheet and told it to create a new entity in my CDS.

I told it to use the column headers as field names and changes all fields to type text.

After hitting Create it hangs up with a Load Status message 'Creating definition group in CDS'. I waited over five minutes for this to complete but it did not.

The new entity gets created but no data is loaded into it.

I tried loading this spreadsheet to a Web Page as you suggested and it also hung on the 'Creating definition group in CDS' step.

erb9497
Level: Power Up

Did you ever figure this out? We are seeing the same issue with it being stuck on "Creating definition group in CDS"

Highlighted
BrianSlalom

I discovered how to get more detail about the import errors. If you go to Data Integration under Data in the left nav, you should be able to find the project which was generated when you created the import. They are given generic names, like Project 1, but you can open the results of the runs using the … menu and figure out which one is your correct run and drill down for details of the errors. You can rename these data integration projects, edit them, and rerun them.