cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Data sources, delegation and refresh

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by some of the documentation on data sources, delegation and refresh. Two pages seem to be saying opposite things (to my untraied eyes ^^) and I'd like to get some precisions on that.

From Understand Data Sources for Canvas Apps, I get that :

• Data sources are loaded into tables when the app initialy starts
  • Once loaded as a table, we can manipulate them just like an internal table
  • These tables can be refreshed with the Refresh() command
  • In essence, loading just the data you need in a local collection (which I used to do) is useless because the app loads all your data sources anyway by default and there's no way around that...

From the Understand Delegation in a Canvas App, I get that : 

• Some operations (filter, sum, etc) can be pushed down to the backend system
  • Some operations are not delegable and thus will only be performed on a slice of the data

The question that arises is "when is data loaded to PowerApps exactly if the source is delegable" ? Is it both on the App Load event AND when something manipulates the data source with a delegable operation ? Does that mean that whenever I'm using a Filter() on a delegable data source, the operation also includes a Refresh() internally ?

I'm curious about that because I'm trying to avoid the initial on App Load loading of the data source (I'm dealing with a large data set with lots of columns which can't be broken down in 3NF). I'm realising my current methods might have been counter-productive... And well, because I'm generally trying to understand what's going on. ^^

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
daviddraper2
Level: Powered On

Re: Data sources, delegation and refresh

@FredericForest wrote:

@v-xida-msft

Hi Kris,

Thanks! This is both informative... and not at all what I expected ^^.

So let me get this straight : 

• Every data source, delgable or not, is fully querried within the max row limits (500 by default) within the cache timeout delay (every 30 seconds by default).

From your comment, do I understand that there is no imperative cache refresh like calling the data source with filter like in the context of a ClearcCllect?

I really need to put a trace on my backend ^^

Yes, there is.  It's called Refresh().

Examplefor Refresh Icon:

Refresh('Data Source');

ClearCollect('Data Source,colDataSource);

SaveData(colDataSource,"colDataSourceDataFile")

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @FredericForest,

For your first question, no matter which data source (Delegable data source or Non-delegable data source), the data would be loaded into your app when your app is started up.

For your second question, the data would be firstly loaded into your app when your app is started up. Actually, the loaded data (from your data source) could only be cached within your app about 30 seconds in default, after that, the app would fetch data from your data source again and cached within your app.

In other words, your app would fetch data from your data source every 30 seconds and refresh the cache data. The default cache time out is 30 seconds, you could extend the time out to 1 minute via turning on/enabling "Use longer data cache timeout and background refresh" option within Advanced settings of App settings of your app.

For your third question, just as I mentioned above. In default, your app would fetch data from your data source every 30 seconds and refresh the cache data.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xida-msft

Hi Kris,

• Every data source, delgable or not, is fully querried within the max row limits (500 by default) within the cache timeout delay (every 30 seconds by default).

From your comment, do I understand that there is no imperative cache refresh like calling the data source with filter like in the context of a ClearcCllect?

daviddraper2
Level: Powered On

@FredericForest wrote:

@v-xida-msft

Hi Kris,

Yes, there is.  It's called Refresh().

Examplefor Refresh Icon:

Refresh('Data Source');

ClearCollect('Data Source,colDataSource);

SaveData(colDataSource,"colDataSourceDataFile")