cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TWitthoeft
Level: Power Up

Did the June 2nd Update affect the way the SQL Connector interprets or implicitly converts SQL bit datatypes?

Starting shortly after the June 2nd release,

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/june-2019-updates-for-microsoft-powerapps/

one of our PowerApps began having issues.   For end-users, this bubbled up as a banner error across the top of the page when the navagited onto a screen with a particular dropdown. 

An error occurred on the server. Server Response: Not a valid connector response. returning message as is: { "error": { "code": 502, "source": "msmanaged-na.azure-apim.net", "clientRequestId": "14e642f6-9710-490a-93ae-c4a6df63c479", "message": "BadGateway", "innerError": { "status": 502, "message": "An expression of non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected, near 'AND'.\r\nclientRequestId: 14e642f6-9710-490a-93ae-c4a6df63c47...

When launching the app in editor mode the dropdown had the following error message.

An error occurred on the server.  Server Response: Not a valid connector Error response. 

The message above was on a custom datacard that was reading data from a SQL table via a SQL Connector.

The data items for this object were defined as

Filter('[rpt].[Users]', Title= "Manager" && Department = "Funding" && IsActive)

We fixed all of the errors by updating it to 

Filter('[rpt].[Users]', Title= "Manager" && Department = "Funding" && IsActive = true)

Notice the change in the two filter forumulas above.  We go from using primitive boolean type `IsActive` to a comparator `IsActive = true`  in order to fix all the errors.

For context, the underlying azure sql table has the "IsActive" column defined as non-nullable bit datatype.   I repeat, the filter expression worked before the June 2nd update, now it does not.    On Jun 2nd, I see we did quite a bit of work on the data connections.  

Is it possible that after Jun 2nd, we now have a change in how SQL Server bit datatypes are interpreted in the SQL Connector or in the Filter() method

I can reproduce this in our PowerApps environment if needed. 

Thanks,

- Troy Witthoeft (MCSA)

2 REPLIES 2
rbsk
Level: Powered On

Re: Did the June 2nd Update affect the way the SQL Connector interprets or implicitly converts SQL bit datatypes?

I have the same issue, althought the error message for me only states:

An error occurred on the server. Server Response: Not a valid connector Error response.

So I have no idea which connector is wrong or which formula to modify.

rbsk
Level: Powered On

Re: Did the June 2nd Update affect the way the SQL Connector interprets or implicitly converts SQL bit datatypes?

I resolved it by rewritting the formula and removing and adding the connector (datasource).