cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NickK
Level: Powered On

Do I have to wait for SharePoint Search Delegation?

I've built a store list app. The idea is colleages in the field can use this app to quickly find details about our stores when they're in the field using their smartphone (sales, fixture age, manager name, etc.). I want to user to be able to search for a store using many different fields (store number, address, mall name, etc)

The Data

- a list of over 800 stores saved in a SharePoint list. 

The Problem

- currently the search function with Sharepoint will not pull the full list of stores (max 500 as we know)

What i've tried

- I've tried the StartsWith function on the city name field. This is an extremely poor user experience given the size and nature of my data. If the user types "Toronto", they have to swipe through 50 records. If they type "Montreal", they won't see any results because the city name has the french accent on the 'e' and won't match. 

I've also built the app using the SEARCH function and selected many of the fields I've mentioned above to search on and the user experience is EXCELLENT, again, the problem it's not pulling all records. 

My Question

Is there something that I'm missing that I could try? Or should I wait until sharepoint list search delegation is added (apparently it's on the way)? Has anyone been given word on when this might actually be available? Weeks? Months? Years?

For the data source, I'm not looking to switch to SQL or any other database format. 

My app is currently on hold as I wait for a better user experience.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Do I have to wait for SharePoint Search Delegation?

Hi @NickK,

Using Filter together with StartsWith function should work for delegation under SharePoint lists.

And as you may noticed, StartsWith would need exact match for the strings.

Please take a look at the ducument for delegatable Data Sources:

Delegable data sources

Further, we may overcome the 500 record limitation by following the workaround provided by Mr-dang in the thread below:

Overcoming the 500 record limit locally

Hope the information above is helpful.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
NickK
Level: Powered On

Thanks for the quick response @v-micsh-msft!

I don't think I want to use the StartsWith function as I don't think it give the user a very good experience, even with a filter to limit some of the results in the gallery view. 

I had a look at the workaround provided by Mr-Dang and it looks a little bit too complicated for me, I'm just starting to explore and learn PowerApps. 

One thing I did try was to make an app from a local (upload straight from my computer) excel file. This does give me the full over 800 results, the problem I've encounter is with the 'detail view' page. I can't get it to pull in records from the data source which again for me is the uploaded excel file. 

I know that powerapps can build and generate the standard 3 page app with other sources but I don't see a way to do that using a local excel file uplload. 

Thanks, and any further help will be appreciated!

JenVitug
Level 8

Hi ,

I have used mr-Dang's  workaround, where i  load N multiple times of 500 (based on my Sharepoint List no. of items) into a collection.

but then,   how do i now load the collection into the Gallery to be the basis of my powerApps  gallery form ?

Help i'm stumped.

JenVitug
Level 8

Alright, i have to replace the Items datasource property for the gallery to the collection name Smiley Happy  THANKS !

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 121 members 4,563 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: