cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
modernoddity
Level: Powered On

Documentation

Just curious what everyone uses to document their PowerApps creations. Currently using Evernote but looking for a better solution. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Documentation

@modernoddity 

I'll make one desing suggestion at least...

Consider having a separate screen that is really only for design and development - no user would ever need to see it.

On there consider using labels and other types of controls in place of variables in your app.

Very often I see people put in formula to (for example) calculate a value.  It might be a complex formula.  And they will hunt around for where to put it...on a button, on a screen visible, on some other action.  Then they will set the variable and use it in a label with the text property being the variable.

My suggestion is...create a label on the dev screen and put the complex formula in the text property directly.  Then in your app, refer to that label.text anytime you want the value...instead of a variable. 

The advantage?  One, your complex formula is now in an EASY place for someone to find it if they need to adjust it.  It's very hard to find Set formulas that may be in some action.  Two, you are reducing the number of variables that your app has to deal with.  Three, it's much easier to troubleshoot any issues directly in that control.

Anyway...just another $0.02  But it really helps!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@modernoddity 

Besides in-line commenting and comment/doc screens, I've also put OneNote to play for PowerApps documentation as there is a connector for it.  Makes it easy to throw a doc screen in to doc as you go along and have the App put it in OneNote.  Not so good for displaying the notes as the OneNote connector is broken when using the GetPageContent function (for a loooong time!!!)...but at least you can create the notes.

But, overall, it really depends based on what kind of documentation you are creating.  Design docs or user docs? In some cases either tool will be comparable. 

$0.02 applied.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
modernoddity
Level: Powered On

@RandyHayes 

Thanks! This is primarily for design docs. I want to make sure my coworkers have all the documentation I can provide so if I ever leave, they have something to fall back on when it comes to supporting the app. 

Super User
Super User

@modernoddity 

I'll make one desing suggestion at least...

Consider having a separate screen that is really only for design and development - no user would ever need to see it.

On there consider using labels and other types of controls in place of variables in your app.

Very often I see people put in formula to (for example) calculate a value.  It might be a complex formula.  And they will hunt around for where to put it...on a button, on a screen visible, on some other action.  Then they will set the variable and use it in a label with the text property being the variable.

My suggestion is...create a label on the dev screen and put the complex formula in the text property directly.  Then in your app, refer to that label.text anytime you want the value...instead of a variable. 

The advantage?  One, your complex formula is now in an EASY place for someone to find it if they need to adjust it.  It's very hard to find Set formulas that may be in some action.  Two, you are reducing the number of variables that your app has to deal with.  Three, it's much easier to troubleshoot any issues directly in that control.

Anyway...just another $0.02  But it really helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 3,590 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: