cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChhunH
Level: Powered On

Documenting PowerApps

Hello All! SO after creating my app, I am now having to document the application and all its components. I am currently using PAs, SP and MS Flow and have to document all the connecting relationships. Does anyone have any tips for documentation or have sample documentation? I am having a really hard time coming up with the approach to this. Thank you!!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
seadude
Level 10

Re: Documenting PowerApps

Hi @ChhunH ,

I've struggled with this as well. Here are some of my past practices that might be of use:

1. "Enhanced Code Review:"
    1. Record a walkthrough of the app code highlighting all complex functions.
    2. I like doing this via Skype with stakeholders on the call so they can ask questions. Keep it MAX 1hr.
    3. IDEALLY, you'd want to edit and chapterize the video afterward.
    4. Be sure to cover the OnStart (if used), OnVisible of each screen (if used), the OnSelect of any call-to-action buttons (these usually hold critical functions) and the Items property of any galleries.
    5. Of course anything else that is tricky (OnChange of dropdown/comboboxes, etc.)
  2. "Hierarchical Docs"
    1. I've had some success in the forums here and within my org in documenting PowerApps controls in a hierarchical format. This can get quite long but is easier to maintain than a video when things change.
      1. Example:
        1. Control: App
        2. Property: OnStart
        3. Code:
          Put code here
        4. Dev Notes: Put special notes/explanations here
  3. "Super Hacker Method" Smiley Happy
    1. I found a way the other day to download all the source code for a PowerApp using Flow. I'm eventually going to create an automated way to put this in Github so I can compare changes.
    2. This method lists all controls and the code against them (as well as other configuration details)
    3. Kind of saving this for an upcoming blog post, so pm me for details.
    4. I'll come back to this forum post and put the details in soon.
3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ChhunH ,

I'm afraid there's no function about listing all the details of the app in PowerApps currently.

You could express your views about this function on PowerApps Ideas Forum. Your precious advice will be very helpful for our work.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Maybe you could refer this doc about one sample app to see how to describe the app's key value:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-office-templates-meeting-capture-quicktask-and-compan...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
seadude
Level 10

Hi @ChhunH ,

I've struggled with this as well. Here are some of my past practices that might be of use:

1. "Enhanced Code Review:"
    1. Record a walkthrough of the app code highlighting all complex functions.
    2. I like doing this via Skype with stakeholders on the call so they can ask questions. Keep it MAX 1hr.
    3. IDEALLY, you'd want to edit and chapterize the video afterward.
    4. Be sure to cover the OnStart (if used), OnVisible of each screen (if used), the OnSelect of any call-to-action buttons (these usually hold critical functions) and the Items property of any galleries.
    5. Of course anything else that is tricky (OnChange of dropdown/comboboxes, etc.)
  2. "Hierarchical Docs"
    1. I've had some success in the forums here and within my org in documenting PowerApps controls in a hierarchical format. This can get quite long but is easier to maintain than a video when things change.
      1. Example:
        1. Control: App
        2. Property: OnStart
        3. Code:
          Put code here
        4. Dev Notes: Put special notes/explanations here
  3. "Super Hacker Method" Smiley Happy
    1. I found a way the other day to download all the source code for a PowerApp using Flow. I'm eventually going to create an automated way to put this in Github so I can compare changes.
    2. This method lists all controls and the code against them (as well as other configuration details)
    3. Kind of saving this for an upcoming blog post, so pm me for details.
    4. I'll come back to this forum post and put the details in soon.
ChhunH
Level: Powered On

Thank you for the awesome tips! I am looking at doing it on a document so I will try the Hierarchical Method. And the Super Hacker Method sounds interesting too, please keep me updated when you completed the blog post! Have a good day!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 233 members 5,110 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: