cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
clau0289
Level: Powered On

Dynamic Data Source

I have created an app for a certain SharePoint site. I am using this same app for other SharePoint sites that have the same structure (tables, columns, etc.) To do this I know have to save the app with another name and replace the data source manually inside the app editor. It would be perfect to have just one single app where I can give the SharePoint site url, or site tables when opening the app.

Do you know if this is possible?

An idea that comes to my mind would be to have the user select the SharePoint that he wants to connect to and do the data source connection relative to the user's choice.

Please let me know if this can be done! 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Dynamic Data Source

Hi @clau0289

Unfortunately, it isn't really possible to carry out what you want to achieve.
I think if PowerApps provided the ability for users to dynamically change a data source at runtime, it would be a great addition to the product.
The workarounds that people use generally use involve adding all possible data sources to an app and providing some dropdown to load the data source into a collection. The app would then work off the data in the local collection, and there would be conditional statements to save changes into the correct data source.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dynamically-changing-Gallery-source/m-p/11666...

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @clau0289

Unfortunately, it isn't really possible to carry out what you want to achieve.
I think if PowerApps provided the ability for users to dynamically change a data source at runtime, it would be a great addition to the product.
The workarounds that people use generally use involve adding all possible data sources to an app and providing some dropdown to load the data source into a collection. The app would then work off the data in the local collection, and there would be conditional statements to save changes into the correct data source.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dynamically-changing-Gallery-source/m-p/11666...

clau0289
Level: Powered On

Thank you for your answer.

I have create an idea in the Ideas Forum hoping this will be implemented soon. I would love if you could support it and maybe spread the voice.

Here's the link.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Dynamic-Data-Source/idi-p/178095#M7015

Thank you again,

Claudia.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 182 members 4,612 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: