Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing and Viewing Data

Hello Community,

Doing some more exploring here.  I can create entities and view them.  I can see the data that is put into sample applications that I create with my Common Data Service for Apps instance.  However, the one thing I do not see is how to simply edit this data.  Pulling my hair out to access it.

Is the only way to do this is to create a new PowerApp that is built around the entity I want to edit?  This seems a little overboard/much so I wanted to check in here to see if there is something more lightweight and straightforward.  I have also been spending time in Dynamics 365 but I do not see anything obvious around this, either.

Thank you for any assistance you can lend this newb,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Editing and Viewing Data

Wow that is surprising @CWesener as it would seem you already have the controls built-out for each and every column in an entity, and they are used within the apps that we create with them.  Seriously seems like something you could do in an afternoon since you already have the controls built.  Yeah, I went there. LOL. Smiley Wink

I've created an idea to keep track of this:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Enable-Data-Editing-from-web-powerapps-com-gt-Da...

Thank you again for the information!

4 REPLIES 4
PowerApps Staff CWesener
PowerApps Staff

Hi @Anonymous - at this point yes, unfortunatley you need to create an app to edit the data. The simplest way to do this is to create a simple three form app based on your entity (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/data-platform-create-app).

We are also in the process of finalizing the updated Excel add-in, which allows a much easier way to update your data directly against the Common Data Service - as soon this is available you'll see it appear on the command bar when working with entities.

Thanks,
Clay.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome @CWesener thanks again for taking the time to help me wrap my head around this.  It is much appreciated.

If I go to an entity under Data -> Entities and selecting the "Data" tab, all the information is already there, it just needs to be made editable.  The would seem that creating Excel integration would be way more work than this.  Do you know if this is under consideration or should I make another suggested idea?

FWIW, I saw this idea, but it isn't clear if it's something that is meant for the web.powerapps.com or if it's meant to be for apps generated with such.

PowerApps Staff CWesener
PowerApps Staff

@Anonymous - we are absolutley looking at making the the data view editable, but there is some work in that for us. The Excel add-in is a tool we already have, and an we are in the process of updating it to the most recent version. My goal is to have both paths available in the future.

Thanks,
Clay.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that is surprising @CWesener as it would seem you already have the controls built-out for each and every column in an entity, and they are used within the apps that we create with them.  Seriously seems like something you could do in an afternoon since you already have the controls built.  Yeah, I went there. LOL. Smiley Wink

I've created an idea to keep track of this:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Enable-Data-Editing-from-web-powerapps-com-gt-Da...

Thank you again for the information!