cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mogulman
Level 8

Enter Text Into Combobox

I want to enter a new company in a combobox that is not currently  in list.

Background

I'm using SQL Server. I have a Contact form.  I have a combobox on form with a collection.  The collection is an SQL view containing a list of distinct companies that are currently in database.   If the company is not in list I want to enter the name and save it.   The definition of a combobox is you can either select an existing name or enter a name.  Every combobox I ever used allows this behavior. How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mogulman
Level 8

Re: Enter Text Into Combobox

Mona, thanks for the reply.  I took the simple solution.  Rather than overlay the combobox on the underlying data field.  I offset the underlying data field down 50px.  I added a label to the combobox saying Company Lookup.  You can either select company from combobox or enter the company in the underlying field.

Combobox.png

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mogulman,

So far there is no direct way to achieve this using combo box. I have found an idea submitted asking for the same feature. Please vote here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Combo-Box-Text-Entry/idi-p/93797

The workaround is that when use do not select an option in combo box, you could use Patch to update the record. The formula should be something like:

Patch(Table1,Defaults(Table1),{Column:TextInput1.Text})

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mogulman
Level 8

Mona, thanks for the reply.  I took the simple solution.  Rather than overlay the combobox on the underlying data field.  I offset the underlying data field down 50px.  I added a label to the combobox saying Company Lookup.  You can either select company from combobox or enter the company in the underlying field.

Combobox.png