So, I'm using a costumized version of the Book a Room template, and everything is OK for my users.
Today I was making some adjustments, and I can't get available rooms anymore.
Thinking it could be an error raised by my modifications, I started with the clean template, and the error remains:
Anywhere has any ideia where I should start looking?
I'm guessing it's something on the date format, probably, but when I look at variables I see nothing different from the live version (that I have restored).
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi @rdfrocha ,
Based on the error message that you mentioned, it seems to tell that there is something issue with the Office365.FindMeetingTimes() function in your app.
I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:
Please check if the Office 365 Outlook connection you created within your app is valid. Please consider take a try to remove the Office 365 Outlook connection from your app, then re-add a new connection to your Office 365 Outlook with a proper Office 365 account (work or school account, rather than your personal account), try your app again, check if the issue is solved.
If the issue still exists, please consider take a try to re-custom a new app based on the Book a Room template app, check if the issue still exists.