Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rajkumar88
Level: Powered On

Existing information is not showing up during the edit form

Hello Everyone, 

I tried different solutions from this community regarding edit form not showing informaiton when you clcik on the item from Gallery, however nothing seems to be working properly. 

Scenario: 1. I have a Gallery which shows information based up on the below filter

filter(employees,lower('Created by').email)=Lower(userinfo)) // here userinfo was set to user().email in appstart. 

So Above formula is working without nay isisue. 

2. Once user clicks on his/her submitted item it will navigate to "view only" screen where can only view complete information of submitted form. Here I have added "EDIT" button. 

3. once they click on edit button, it will navigate to the screen called "empscreen", from here they can click on next and submit all the questions. 

Issue: When they click on edit, all the questions are empty. Not sure how to fix it. When they click on edit it should show already selected answers from the submitted item right? 

for each screen: do I set the item property as "gallery1.selected". 

Note: EMPscreen is also used if they want to submit new request. I addded a button on landing screen called "new request" which will navigate to EMPscreen. I believe this two things should not overlap right? 

23 REPLIES 23
rajkumar88

Re: Existing information is not showing up during the edit form

to add more info to this. Most of my columns data card value is changed to custom "Radio" buttons instead of regualr out of the box from SharePoint list. However I did pacth those buttons to the respective columns in list and it is saving the data.

But when I check my submitted request and try to edit the request, then all my screen forms are showing as brand new instead of showing exisiting selected content. AM I DOING ANYTHIGN WRONG HERE?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @rajkumar88 ,

Since you use custom controls rather than the default controls, set the edit form's Item is not enough.

Every's custom control's properties need to be set, especially Radio's Default and data card'sUpdate property.

Could you tell me what's the data type of the fields that you use custom radio button?

I've made a test for your raference:

I assume that you change choice column's control.

Set the Radio's Items: Choices(listname.columnname)

Set the Radio's Default:ThisItem.columnname.Value

Set the data card's Update: {Value:Radio1.Selected.Value}

Then, the Radio will display this item's data.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rajkumar88

@v-yutliu-msft,

I didn't get your point. If set Radio Items to Choices(listname.columnname), then my radio choices will be different right.

In sharepoint, my data type filed is a choice column with radio buttons. However PowerApps will display it as "dropdown" instead of readio buttons. DUe to which I created a Radio button directly on the form and set the update proeprty of the column with radio button selected

Right now on my edit form the Radio button items are set as ["choice1","choice2","choice3"]

Raido1 default: "" //empty

Data card update: radio1.selected  //updating the column

In this way I was able to achieve custom radio button.  However what you are mentioning is to use default values from SharePoint list?

rajkumar88

@RandyHayes,

Do you the reason why my exisiting content is not showing when click on edit?

For each form I made items property= gallery1.selected.

all my fields are cutom radio buttons. And all the default setings of radio buttons are set based up on the column name.

ex: Radio1 .default = columnname.value

displaymode = displaymode.edit

columndatacard update=radio.selected

default=thisitem.columnname

Not sure what else I need to check

Super User
Super User

@rajkumar88 

Can you describe more about the issue that you are now seeing?

For each form I made items property= gallery1.selected.

In your original message you stated that "all the questions are empty".  Where do these questions come from?

Your Gallery has a formula that references the "employees" data source.  Are all of your Forms using the "employees" data source as well?  And if so, then all of the columns you are showing on your form are based on columns in the data source?

all my fields are cutom radio buttons. And all the default setings of radio buttons are set based up on the column name.

ex: Radio1 .default = ThisItem.columnname.value

displaymode = displaymode.edit

columndatacard update=radio.selected

default=thisitem.columnname (not really relevant because you are setting the default in the Radio control)

The above is fine (noting the above corrections in red) however I would set the Items property of the Radio to Choices(yourDataSource.columnName) so that you are using the predefined choices in the column.

So, let me know more on the above questions and we'll see what we can discover.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
rajkumar88

The above is fine (noting the above corrections in red) however I would set the Items property of the Radio to Choices(yourDataSource.columnName) so that you are using the predefined choices in the column.

So, let me know more on the above questions and we'll see what we can discover.

Hi Randy,

if I make items property of Radio button to Choices(yourDataSource.columnName), then how can I use custom text for choices?

right now to display this as radio button I created directl on app ["choice1","choice2","choice"] and this made "update property" of the column as radio1.selected.

so the choices that I am using is from the app that I created, Ihave added choices in sharepoint list column, because it will shows as drop down instead of radio buttons.

Super User
Super User

@rajkumar88 

So, you're going to run into problems if your choices for the Radio buttons do not match the choices for the SharePoint column.  Is that what you are intending to do?

Or are you trying to customize the choice information displayed...for example - the Choice column in SharePoint has 3 choices - "open", "closed", "working".  And you don't want to show those as options.  Instead you want to show "Job Open", "Job Closed", "Job In Process" to the user, BUT you want/need to update the SharePoint column with the proper choice value based on what is allowed.

Does any of this sound right based on what you want?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
rajkumar88

@RandyHayes,

sorry I missed to reply back to this. My radio buttons are now showing up the information. I am using the information from SPlist choice field I made them as radio buttons. This is working fine.

I also made all forms on all screens to "NEW" and added editform(form1);editform(form2);editform(form3) on my "EDIT" button. Earlier I have used only ediitform(form1), because of this during the editing of exisiting information, only one screen is displaying the information.

I hope this works fine as I am saying EDIT button to edit all the forms from all the screens.

Now new final issue is that I have 10 cehckboxs which I have pacthed together and it is saved under "text" field in SharePoint list. As PowerApps doesn't provide feasibility of having checkboxes based up on choice field, I have created a text field in SharePoint and I am updating it with the content selected out of Checkboxes.

Content is saving properly to list, but the issue is that if user wants edit already sbmitted content, then it won't reflect previous selected checkboxes/content. Not sure how to achieve this Smiley Sad

Super User
Super User

@rajkumar88 

How are you bringing back the values to your checkboxes during edit?  This would be governed by the Default property of the DataCard that has the checkbox(es).

If you are storing the values in a text field, then you will need to provide the formula to split the text back into values for the checkboxes, otherwise it will have no way to know what to show.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 3,851 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: