Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joans
Level: Powered On

Fill-in option on dropdown control

Hi team,

How can I add a text value on a dropdown field where the coloumn setting has been set to allow the fill-in option. 

Dropdown.SearchText = Textbox.Text didn't work for me especially when the user has selected something on the dropdown option.

Storage.PNG

Please help! Smiley Very Happy 

The Goal: I want them to save the data on the text field when "Other" is selected from the dropwdown rather than the word "Other" - but I still need to save the other options on the dropdown list.

5 REPLIES 5
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Fill-in option on dropdown control

You can use an expression like this one to retrieve the value of the combo box (if it's not set to 'Other') or the text field (if the combo box is set to other:

If(
    ComboBox1.Selected.Value = "Other",
    TextInput1.Text,
    ComboBox1.Selected.Value)

Where 'ComboBox1' and 'TextInput1' are the names of the controls (you may need to change it if the controls in your app are named differently).

joans

Hi Carlos

Thank you for responding.

Yes this logic was definitely considerred however, when I placed it on OnSelect and also tried OnChange that value did not change - it was still stuck on "Other". I can only allow 1 value on the dropdown.

I might have been putting my logic statement in the wrong field.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @joans,

Do you want to add a text field value into your Dropdown field when "Other" is selected from the dropwdown (Combo box control)?

Could you please share a bit more about the Dropdown field that you mentioned? Is it a Choice type column in your SP list?

Further, could you please share a bit more about your app's configuration?

I suppose that you custom a form for your SP list using PowerApps on your side, is it true?

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

• Unlock the Data card control which contains the Combo box cnotrol (On your side, it is "Where will your data be stored").
  • Set the Update property of the Data card control (which contains the Combo box control) to following formula:
If(
DataCardValue3.Selected.Value="Other",
{ '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference", Id: 0, Value: DataCardValue4.Text },
DataCardValue3.Selected
)

Note: The DataCardValue3 represents the Combo box control on your side, the DataCardValue4 represents the Text filed on your side.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
joans

Response in blue

Do you want to add a text field value into your Dropdown field when "Other" is selected from the dropwdown (Combo box control)?

No I do not. I want it to ignore "Other" which is an array item of the Dropdown field and instead save the text they put in the Textbox field which only appears if "Other" is selected. I don’t want their text to be added to the array but simply to save it on the list.

Could you please share a bit more about the Dropdown field that you mentioned? Is it a Choice type column in your SP list?

Yes it is.

Further, could you please share a bit more about your app's configuration?

It’s a custom list form

I suppose that you custom a form for your SP list using PowerApps on your side, is it true?

Yes it is

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

It didn’t work ☹

The error states it’s asking for a record value.

I have a very annoying workaround to this problem however I rather implement it right and I know there must be an easy way since I have allowed the column to have the Fill-in option.

clearstream

I would like to know this also.

I have my TextInput control not visiable unless "Other" is selected in ther DropDown. (Normal DropDown control)

How do I save the TextInput text as the Value for the DataCard ELSE use selected Item on the Drop Down?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 4,891 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: