Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idcampbell
Level: Powered On

Re: Filter function become non delegable when using a lookup field

Hi @mokhawaja,

I believe I found the solution after reading this article from Microsoft:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/support-for-lookups/

Essentially, the .Value property of the choice field has to be used so my simple example is:

Filter(Projects,ProjectType_New.Value = SearchProjectInput.Text)

This works in my more complex formula:

Filter(Projects,Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),SearchProjectInput.Text in Text(ProjectManager_),Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),SearchProjectInput.Text in Text(ATRF_New), Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),SearchProjectInput.Text in Text(ProjectTitle_),Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),SearchProjectInput.Text in Text(ProjectKeywords_),Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),SearchProjectInput.Text in Text(ProjectSponsor_),Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),SearchProjectInput.Text in Text(LessonsLearnedDate_),Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text), ProjectType_New.Value = SearchProjectInput.Text)))))))))

Thanks again for your help. I will mark this as solved!

idcampbell

Yes, and hi @v-micsh-msft , I'm experiencing the same frustration as @mokhawaja with the non-delegable operators. I reached the 500 recored limit in less than 3 hours today and I want to filter on these records. What's even worse is that the filter function applies the oldest records first which means the new data entered is again, unfortunately irrelevant.

Any update on this is appreciated. I've heard rumors that this may be resolved soon for CDS, but would the "fix" apply to SharePoint lists?

idcampbell

@v-micsh-msft, we'd love an update as to when (or if) search functions will be delegable and query beyond the 500 record limit. This is a very frustrating limitation and restricts my ability to develop using Power Apps.

Highlighted
idcampbell

For those following this string, Microsoft has published an article indicating which functions/operators are delegable:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/delegation-list/

They do not however indicate which types of fields are non-delegable. I have a formal inquiry w/ Microsoft regarding this and will post to this string as soon as I hear back.

idcampbell

@v-micsh-msft, has there been any update or plan to make SharePoint list filter functions delegable? Let us know and thanks.

koskimiesl
Level: Power Up

I'm also waiting for these delegation limitations to be addressed. Those have already caused several issues in my projects where SharePoint lists are used as data sources.

JenVitug
Level 8

I am having the same issue, Filter function becoming non delegable and dotted blue warning is showing Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

drewortiz

I wanted to contribute an example, as I've hit this issue multiple times. My scenario involves:

• I have a 'Region' dropdown which will filter a gallery. 
  • MyTable (SharePoint list) has a lookup field, LawLookupField into another list, 'Law Table'.
  • filteredLaws used as the Items value for my gallery. 
  • Both MyTable and Law Table have been added as data sources to the app.

When the user selects a value from the Region dropdown, On Change is set to this code:

ClearCollect(filteredLaws, Filter(
 AddColumns(Choices('MyTable'.'LawLookupField'),"T",
  LookUp([@'Law Table'],Title=Value )),T.Region.Value=dropdownRegion.Selected.Value) )

All the columns from the Law Table are listed under the column filteredLaws.T. For to display description from the Law Table in my gallery use "T.Description". I don't get the delegation warning, but I have not fully tested this on different sized datasets. I hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 165 members 4,366 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: