cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
KevB
Level: Powered On

Filtering galleries by current user and list

My issue is that I am trying to filter an existing data list by a column called "Country".

Issue 1

On the edit screen where the in country person adds a new line of data and completes the new data input by pulling down choice fields, I cannot get the pull down for "Country" to only show their Country it shows them all countries in the list. 

I have a list of countries and a list of users assigned to the countries so i can build a separate list to contain these if required to do a look up to or link back to?  

Issue 2

My master data list is built and linked to a PowerApp and everything works as it should apart form when I try and apply a filter to only show the user their Country data - I either get all the data or nothing at all.

Can you help on this at all? I can provide any details required as I have been trying to do this for opver a week.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Filtering galleries by current user and list

Hi @KevB,

I suspect that the problem is with the column type being Choice in your list.  Choice, Lookup and Person columns are actually embedded tables that consist of an ID and Value.  Please review this ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-choices to better understand how to deal with these complex column types.  The examples with Comboboxes will steer you in the right direction.  

I personally avoid them.  You can change the Choice type column to a a Single line of text (Slot) in Sharepoint without a loss of data.  Lookup type columns are more difficult to change and I simply bring in a second list and reference within Powerapps with the Lookup() function.  

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevB,

I suspect that the problem is with the column type being Choice in your list.  Choice, Lookup and Person columns are actually embedded tables that consist of an ID and Value.  Please review this ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-choices to better understand how to deal with these complex column types.  The examples with Comboboxes will steer you in the right direction.  

I personally avoid them.  You can change the Choice type column to a a Single line of text (Slot) in Sharepoint without a loss of data.  Lookup type columns are more difficult to change and I simply bring in a second list and reference within Powerapps with the Lookup() function.  

KevB
Level: Powered On

Thank you I have taken your advice and I have made the process work.

Many thanks

KevB

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 4,894 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: