cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karthi
Level: Powered On

GPS Geo Co Ordinates is picking wrong value

HI Team,

I have a Used function Location.Latitude and Location.Longitude to capture the geo co ordinates but the collected geo co ordinates are not accurate. (Please refer the attachment).

Blue radar is the correct live location where im standing but the collected geo co ordinates is on the opposite side of the road and far away from the live location

How to get the accurate Location geo co ordinates? 

@Mr-Dang-MSFT , ur magic inputs please. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: GPS Geo Co Ordinates is picking wrong value

Standard civilian-grade GPS is accurate within a range - there is a minimum horizontal variance of 4m (NB, minimum), so it may be currently picking up your location there due to variance in where it is locating you.

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
Super User
Super User

Thanks @mogulman :-)

Yes, I agree with @iAm_ManCat. The location service on a device isn't accurate enough to determine with certainty which side of a street someone is standing on. I have a friend with a private pilots license and he tells me that the expensive navigation system on his plane exhibits this same inaccuracy. So unfortunately, I don't think this particular problem is solvable.

If anyone is interested, here's what I said on P228 of my book.

-----

When we retrieve a location from a mobile device, the accuracy of the reading can vary. If the user has only just switched on the GPS, there may be insufficient time for the device to lock onto sufficient satellites to give an accurate reading. In this situation, devices have a tendency to return the last known location.

In the case of PowerApps, an important point is that when a user starts an app with the GPS turned on and turns off the GPS at a later point, any subsequent attempt to retrieve the location will return the last known location.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Standard civilian-grade GPS is accurate within a range - there is a minimum horizontal variance of 4m (NB, minimum), so it may be currently picking up your location there due to variance in where it is locating you.

Highlighted
mogulman
Level 8

In @timl 's book Beginning PowerApps he dicusses using map data (chp 11).  I've only read the chapter.  He appears to cover this in detail.

Super User
Super User

@mogulman I read Tim's book last year - on page 228 is what you are looking for: he states "When we retrieve a location from a mobile device, the accuracy of the reading can vary"

- so my answer still stands: civilian-grade GPS has a potential inacurracy & minimum variance of 4m.

Cheers,

@iAm_ManCat 

Super User
Super User

Thanks @mogulman :-)

Yes, I agree with @iAm_ManCat. The location service on a device isn't accurate enough to determine with certainty which side of a street someone is standing on. I have a friend with a private pilots license and he tells me that the expensive navigation system on his plane exhibits this same inaccuracy. So unfortunately, I don't think this particular problem is solvable.

If anyone is interested, here's what I said on P228 of my book.

-----

When we retrieve a location from a mobile device, the accuracy of the reading can vary. If the user has only just switched on the GPS, there may be insufficient time for the device to lock onto sufficient satellites to give an accurate reading. In this situation, devices have a tendency to return the last known location.

In the case of PowerApps, an important point is that when a user starts an app with the GPS turned on and turns off the GPS at a later point, any subsequent attempt to retrieve the location will return the last known location.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Tomorrow, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 222 members 4,829 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: