cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aorphan
Level: Powered On

Galleries not rendering properly after publishing

Hello,

I am running into an issue where my galleries load just fine in the designer when I click Preview. However, when I publish and go to Play (run) my app, my gallery on the main screen does not load. However, after I put in search criteria into the search box, and backspace it, then it renders. This problem exists in another screen in another one of our apps. This is recent as these galleries were functioning properly up until recently (noticed today). What changed??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
aorphan

Re: Galleries not rendering properly after publishing

Hi @tahoon ,

Thanks for the reply. We were able to work around the issue. Please note that this is still bugged and this is simply a workaround. I will post the info here in-case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

We have what we call a "master screen" which contains "base" groups of controls and other "pointer" groups which function as pointers/references to the base groups. As mentioned earlier, this is to cut down on repetetive development in PowerApps. We simply copy a "pointer" group to a new screen when we need it. This enables us to modify colors, dimensions, etc. with ease across multiple screens. This "master screen" is never actually displayed at runtime.

The issue appears to be with Galleries. Specifically, the very first gallery that attempts to render. The rows flash for a second, and then are immediately hidden. It's clearly a bug that occurs when the labels reference our "master screen" label properties within galleries.

The solution was to delete all controls from the galleries and make all the labels and icons local to just that screen. Unfortunately, this means we cannot use this design pattern for galleries, at least not for the first gallery that is rendered.

aorphan

Something is bugged with the forums, I keep getting an exception when attempting to view my previous reply. Here's my previous reply reposted:

--
Hi @tahoon ,

Thanks for the reply. We were able to work around the issue. Please note that this is still bugged and this is simply a workaround. I will post the info here in-case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

We have what we call a "master screen" which contains "base" groups of controls and other "pointer" groups which function as pointers/references to the base groups. As mentioned earlier, this is to cut down on repetetive development in PowerApps. We simply copy a "pointer" group to a new screen when we need it. This enables us to modify colors, dimensions, etc. with ease across multiple screens. This "master screen" is never actually displayed at runtime.

The issue appears to be with Galleries. Specifically, the very first gallery that attempts to render. The rows flash for a second, and then are immediately hidden. It's clearly a bug that occurs when the labels reference our "master screen" label properties within galleries.

The solution was to delete all controls from the galleries and make all the labels and icons local to just that screen. Unfortunately, this means we cannot use this design pattern for galleries, at least not for the first gallery that is rendered.

13 REPLIES 13
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @aorphan 

Could you please try to clear cache and cookies and then test?

Could  you please try with other browsers?

Is the issue always exists?

Could you please share the screenshot of your issue?

save-publish-app

Best Regards.

Yumia

aorphan

Hi @v-yuxima-msft ,

I always use PowerApps in Chrome Incognito mode so that cookies and cache are never an issue. I have tried opening new Incognito windows and get the same result.

Here I am editing my app in the Designer. I click the Preview button. Notice how a data row is returned in my gallery:

screenshot1.pngApp in designer, Preview mode.

Session ID: fac3ad43-710e-4ec4-95b4-309fd3e5c859
PowerApps 3.19062.20

Now, when app is published, and I click Play, here is the result:

screenshot2.pngSame app after publishing, Play mode.

Session ID: 6bcc155b-2a3e-45ae-8dcc-90891b1f4aeb
PowerApps 3.19061.8

Notice how there is no row where I expect there to be one.

This is an issue in our other apps as well. This bug occurred recently for us.

Another thing to note: someone else suggested we disable the "Explicit column selection" setting. This setting is already disabled for our apps, so it's not that.

Please take a look and let us know what you find. 

Thanks!

aorphan

Hi @v-yuxima-msft , any update on this? This is still an issue for several of our apps. I provided multiple screenshots and session ID's. Let us know. Thanks!

PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Try re-publishing the app again to get the latest fixes. If that doesn't work, you can try adding "debugging labels". That means adding Label controls that give you information about what the app is doing. For example,

• add a Label and set its Text property to First(<the same expression you used in Gallery.Items>).someValue. This makes the label show the first item that is supposed to be in the gallery. If it shows up, that means the issue is with the gallery and not filtering nor fetching of data.
  • add a Label and set its Text property to First(<data source used in Gallery.Items, without filter>).someValue. This makes the label show the first item of the data source. If it shows up, that means the issue is with the gallery and not fetching data.
  • If the labels don't show any text, it is likely an issue with fetching of data.
aorphan

Hi @tahoon ,

I tried saving and republishing like you suggested, same issue.

I then tried adding the debug label like you suggested. The label rendered properly as expected (green circle) but the gallery did not (red circle):

screenshot3.pngAfter republishing, Play mode, with debug label.

Session ID: 6ab82a66-6c90-4616-8967-43094cc9119d
PowerApps 3.19063.10

This is still an issue with our other apps as well. Please take a look and let us know.

Thanks!

PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

What data source are you using? Sharepoint, CDS, SQL, ...

You could also try inserting a brand new gallery with its Items set to the data source (or the same expression used in the non-working gallery). Just have a Label as its only content. This will help determine if the existing gallery or its contents might be malfunctioning.

Also check the app settings if any have been changed from the defaults. You can create a new app to see what the default settings are. See File > App settings > Advanced settings

aorphan

Hi @tahoon ,

We are using CDS as our data source.

I tried dropping and re-adding the gallery, no luck. The problem persists.

The only Preview feature we have different from default is "Delayed load" which is disabled. The reason is because the main/ first screen does not render properly with this enabled. It may have something to do with how our app is set up; we have a "master screen" which we store several controls, and we copy "references" of these controls to other screens. This is to cut down on repetetive development in PowerApps, as well as enabling us to make easy changes (colors, dimensions, etc.) that will be reflected throughout our app as there is no CSS equivalent in PowerApps it seems.

We are using the following Experimental Features (not going to disable, they are used throughout):

• Formula-level error management
  • Try the enhanced Group control
  • Components
  • Enable formula bar result view

Again, the bug occurs after the app is published in Play mode. It is extremely frustrating to debug this because the problem doesn't exist in the designer/ Preview mode. It looks like data begins to render, and is then immediately hidden. If you input text into the search box, then backspace, the rows render as expected.

Highlighted
aorphan

Hello again @v-yuxima-msft & @tahoon ,

This is still bugged. I have provided several detailed explanations, session ID's and screenshots. Is there any update on this? Perhaps it is related to the "Control property optimization" setting that was pushed live for all recently?

Thanks!

PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

There are no obvious errors from the session IDs.

Can you share what Gallery.Items expression is set to? Does it work if you simply set Gallery.Items=<dataSource>, without any filtering expression?

Is the Gallery at the "top level" of the screen? Or is it inside something else, like another gallery, an improved Group control, or a Component?

Are there any Refresh(<dataSource>) calls happening?

The goal here is to simplify the app until the items are loaded correctly. This will help isolate what the problem is.

If this is a blocking issue for you, a workaround could be to set the filter text to something and then clear it after a delay using a Timer control.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 3,914 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: