cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JosL
Level: Powered On

Gallery selected property being cleared when the next screen has loaded

I have a gallery (A), in which I select a row, which brings me to a new screen where I show the selected ID of A, and another gallery (B) for a different azure paas sql table. When I select a row on B, I go to another screen that shows me the selected ID of A and the selected ID of B, this is where funny stuff happens:

1. first time I click in B, the new screen shows the ID of A and B for a second or two, then the ID of B dissappears (becomes null?)

2. if I click back, and click the same row again, both ID's are shown properly.

3. if I then edit one of the rows (B), the same happens, first it doesn't load properly, then the second time it does.

I haven't configured anything on these three screens that I think could overwrite the gallery selection (don't even know how to, yet). And even if that was the case, why would it only work once?

Any clues? Smiley Happy

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Gallery selected property being cleared when the next screen has loaded

@JosL 

What are you doing in your OnSelect action in the Gallery/ies?

Do you have any OnVisible actions going on?

What is your formula on the other screen that shows the ID's of A and B?

Hopefully you can check those and see an issue, but if not, post back and we'll explore more.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
JosL

@RandyHayes 

I've tried two approaches, one selecting the parent when a row is clicked, the parent has a navigate() in its OnSelect, and doing the navigate() in the row itself. Both methods (not at the same time) cause the same issue.

No OnVisible actions going on.

Formula to show the values is just a Concatenate, example:

Concatenate("ID of A: ",Text(A.Selected.id), " & B: ",Text(B.Selected.id))

Super User
Super User

@JosL 

That seems pretty much good.

A bit of a mystery!  The only suggestion I might make at this point (since it's pretty simple of an App) is to create a new app and do only those same items - 2 galleries.  Navigate (OnSelect of Parent or on the Row is fine).  A label with the ID's.

See if you have the exact same issue in a fresh App.  If not, then there has got to be something else in your first one that is at fault.  If so...then the mystery continues.  Let's see what's next.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
JosL

@RandyHayes New apps don't have this issue....one thing I forgot to mention, if I run the app in the editor, the issue doesn't occur, it only occurs when directly starting/using the app, mobile or browser.

So yeah...mysterious Smiley Happy

Super User
Super User

@JosL  

Oh sure...throw a little more mystery in the machine Smiley Wink

Ok - to be clear.  You are saying that if you create a new app that has this exact functionality - it works fine in the Player.  Only this current app has issues in the Player only.

If that statement is correct, then again, we're looking at something in the App that is causing it.  If it is not some formula that is mixed in someplace that perhaps you "misplaced", then I would review the App Settings of the working vs the non-working app to see if perhaps there is a setting that is causing the difference.

Highlighted
JosL

@RandyHayes Doesn't the fact that it doesn't work in the player, but works in the editor show that there is a bug of some kind causing this?

It's a big app, and the screens that have this issue don't have functions/formula's that I think could cause this, but in either case, shouldn't the issue then be present in the editor as well?

Super User
Super User

@JosL 

Potentially a discrepency between the editor and player.  They are certainly two different applications.

I do find that sometimes you "work around" issues to make it look right or work right in the editor, only to find that the "solution" fails in the player because it seems the player is less forgiving of sins.  

The only thing I can say in this case, is that I've been there...seen situations where something strange is going on.  My first inclination is that there is some type of bug, but almost every time I find that there was some wacky thing that I was doing some place else in the App that was causing the issue.

This is where, usually, my last troubleshooting step is a fresh app designed with *only* the problem I am experiencing in it.  I usually find then that the problem is gone...so, it's back to the original to hunt down the culprit.  And yes, it is more challenging when it is a player vs editor issue that I'm after.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 191 members 4,472 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: