Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FelipeCaru
Level 8

Help with dropdown lenght & error

Hello all,

In my app I have to do a dropdown (or combobox) with a list of options sent by the user. I have typed the options in the 'items' property of the dropdown I used, however, some parts are cut due to lenght. Is there a way to make it this be seen completely? Or maybe have it be in 2 lines?

dropboxComentario.png

(Solved) The other question is: the same dropdown, on its datacard has an error. I originally had it as a one-line edit text card, then deleted the inputText, added dropdown and used same 'name' on dropdown that the inputText had. Now the card has an error in the 'Update' property, which is DataCardValue64.Text; the error is the highlighted "Text" part on it. Error says: "Name isn't valid. The identifier isn't recognized" (related to the .Text on the Update).

What can I do to fix this? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
LouisC
Level 8

Re: Help with dropdown lenght & error

Hi @FelipeCaru,

For your first problem, I really don't know, sorry...

For your second problem, you have to change your .Text (which is a statement associated to TextBox) by a .Selected.Result or by .SelectedText.Value

Super User
Super User

@FelipeCaru 

No, there is no Wrap property for those controls.  Also, DropDown controls are one-line only.  ComboBoxes have the option of being two lines.

As for the reference to the posting - yes, building your own control is an option, although a bit of work to do.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
7 REPLIES 7
LouisC
Level 8

Hi @FelipeCaru,

For your first problem, I really don't know, sorry...

For your second problem, you have to change your .Text (which is a statement associated to TextBox) by a .Selected.Result or by .SelectedText.Value

FelipeCaru
Level 8

@LouisC 

Thank you, that did indeed work/fix what I was having error with. Will mark that as an answer after I get help for my first issue

Super User
Super User

@FelipeCaru 

So, I am assuming that increasing the width of the DropDown is not an option...

Perhaps decreasing the font size of the ComboBox?

If not, then it gets a little interesting.  Yes, you can use a 2 line ComboBox for this, you just need to be a little creative on the way that works.  However, one thing to keep in mind is that, even though you might be 2-lining the dropdown selections "menu", the value that appears in the ComboBox itself will still only be one line.

An option is to cut the values you have in two with a formula like this in your Items property of the ComboBox:

ForAll(
    ["Loooooooooong Text Value That will not fit", 
     "Shorter Value",
     "Some more long and lenghty and big text"], 
   {
    Value1:Left(Value,20) & If(Len(Value)>19 && Right(Left(Value,20),1)<>" ", "-"), 
    Value2:Right(Value,Len(Value)-20)
   }
)

This will provide your ComboBox with an Items data signature of a table with two columns - Value1 and Value2.  You can then be in 2 line mode on the combobox and specify Value1 and Value2 for the display fields.

However...this is a bit ugly as words can get chopped in between lines (there is a little check in Value1 to see if a word is chopped and to put a hyphen in).

Not the cleanest way, but it would work for you possibly.

As for the Error you are getting.  Yes, you replaced the Text control with a DropDown.  The dropdown does not have a text property.  You will need to fix the Update formula to match the properties of the DropDown control. Most likely with something like : DataCardValue64.Selected.Value (or whatever you have that corresponds to the items of the DropDown)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
FelipeCaru
Level 8

@RandyHayes 

So I am guessing that both CB and Dropdown do not have some kind of 'wrap' option?
Also, would the solution here for a SP list (if I recall correctly) work for a Combobox / dropdown?

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Dropdown-Options-amp-Labels-Are-Cut...

Super User
Super User

@FelipeCaru 

No, there is no Wrap property for those controls.  Also, DropDown controls are one-line only.  ComboBoxes have the option of being two lines.

As for the reference to the posting - yes, building your own control is an option, although a bit of work to do.

FelipeCaru
Level 8

@RandyHayes 

Thank you for the answer. Seems I'll have to make it manually then (:

Super User
Super User

@FelipeCaru 

Sounds like a good candidate for a component!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 199 members 4,950 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: