cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

How to determine status of non-boolean variable?

Hello. I'm building a little debugging menu into my app and ran into an issue. 

I have one variable (varSubdiv) which returns a table of data. In the debugging menu, I want to show "true" or "false" for each variable in my app. However I can't find a way to set a status label Text Property to varSub if it returns a table. 

How can I determine the status of a non-boolean variable? 

So far I've tried putting the following in the Text Property of of the status label: 

varSubdiv

and...

If(
    varSubdiv,
    "true", "false")

and..

If(
    varSubdiv = //the table I'm querying//
        Distinct(
            Filter(
                theTable,
                column = dropdown.Selected.Value),
        returnColumn),
"true","false")

All return some form of the error: "Invalid argument type."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: How to determine status of non-boolean variable?

For which values of 'varSubdiv' would your debugging menu show true or false? Since that variable is a table, there are some options for that:

• The table is empty : you can use If(CountRows(varSubdiv) = 0, "true", "false")
  • The table is blank / null : you can use If(IsBlank(varSubdiv), "true", "false")
  • The table is identical to some other table : you can use something like the expression below:
If(
    And(
        CountRows(varSubdiv) = CountRows(otherTable),
        0 = Sum(
            ForAll(
                varSubdiv,
                If(IsBlank(LookUp(otherTable, column = subDivColumn)), 0, 1)),
            Result)),
    "true",
    "false")

Let us know the logic that you're using to determine whether that variable should be shown as true/false, and we should hopefully be able to help you get there!

2 REPLIES 2
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

For which values of 'varSubdiv' would your debugging menu show true or false? Since that variable is a table, there are some options for that:

• The table is empty : you can use If(CountRows(varSubdiv) = 0, "true", "false")
  • The table is blank / null : you can use If(IsBlank(varSubdiv), "true", "false")
  • The table is identical to some other table : you can use something like the expression below:
If(
    And(
        CountRows(varSubdiv) = CountRows(otherTable),
        0 = Sum(
            ForAll(
                varSubdiv,
                If(IsBlank(LookUp(otherTable, column = subDivColumn)), 0, 1)),
            Result)),
    "true",
    "false")

Let us know the logic that you're using to determine whether that variable should be shown as true/false, and we should hopefully be able to help you get there!

Super User
Super User

Thank you @CarlosFigueira, this is the exact logic I needed to understand and get into my head. I'm so used to boolean variables that I was blinded to "true / false" as an only option. 

Take care