cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
optoluctor
Level: Powered On

Import from Excel

I'm having to use manual Excel imports for a datasource due to the row limitations of Connected options. The data compiled into those imports is fluid and requires update every one to three days. Is there a manner in which I can automate the import? Perhaps a Powershell script?

In case it's of any consequence, the total rows ClearCollected into my Collection OnStart are derived from two Excel tables totaling ~20K rows which I separate out; 15K to the first, the remainder to the second.

2 REPLIES 2
PowerApps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
PowerApps Staff

Re: Import from Excel

If I understand correctly, you have been importing static data into your app as an alternative to using connected data. This is your work around to avoid delegation issues.

Given that your use case is one where data is not static (you need to regularly update it), your work around may not fit what you're trying to achieve.

As a guiding principle, when you are building your app, work towards lightweight, minimal experiences. At first, you may want to bring in all of your data, but how much of it is actually seen and acted upon at any given time? How much of it is actually needed at once? Are your current data source options adequate or are you in need of something more robust?

The more you step away from trying to recreate spreadsheet experiences in PowerApps, the better app experience you'll be able to deliver.

optoluctor
Level: Powered On

Re: Import from Excel

Hey Mr. Dang!

The intent driving my app is simplicity, and this awesome platform has allowed me to place a cumbersome amount of data into a very simple and very fast, in fact rediculously fast, tool that supports users of our NAV environment. Unfortunately, for the app to perform it's duty it must first make available for search all of the items because all of those items are both unique to one another and also likely to be searched for at any given time. So basically, the app serves its function extremely well and so for that I have no concern. It does exactly what you say it should; lightens and minimalizes our data so that we can have the information we need without the drudgery of spreadsheets or having to fire up NAV.

So anyway, about this particular ask, yes I am being lazy 👍

But can you think of a way that might automate my updates to the Datasource?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 230 members 4,327 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: