cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PSahu
Level: Powered On

Issue with new Powerapps version 3.19014.8 - Dropdown values defaulting to Blank

Hi Team,

There is a new PowerApps version (3.19014.8) which got published recently..it has completely messed up our apps. For all dropdown components, the default value has been coming as blank which is not how it was set when we created it. We did set all our default value to show the first value of the collection which is completely ignored now. it has messed up so many validations we added for a blank vs filled dropdown. The correct previous version was 3.19013.14.

Please help revert this change back or let us know an easy way to fix so many bugs which have appeared because of this upgrade.

Regards,

PSahu

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mike8
Level 10

Re: Issue with new Powerapps version 3.19014.8 - Dropdown values defaulting to Blank

Yes, I noticed the same. Now they show blank as default.
I did the following: 
For those that I didn't have a default value I added
Dropdown1.Default: First(CollectionName).ColumnName
and for those that I had a default value 
Like Dropdown2.Default: vDefaultValue
I changed it to
Dropdown2.Default: If(LookUp(CollectionName,vDefaultValue=ColumnName,true),vDefaultValue,First(CollectionName).ColumnName)

PowerApps Staff FilipK
PowerApps Staff

Re: Issue with new Powerapps version 3.19014.8 - Dropdown values defaulting to Blank

Hey everyone, we appologize about breaking your apps, but this was an intentional change to fix a bug and a scenario where Dropdown and Listbox were showing incorrect values.

Previously, Listbox and Dropdown used to erroneously always show the first item as selected, even when this was not configured in the properties.  Even if user had null for the Default, or an item that wasn’t available in the options, those controls would show the first item in the list as selected.  This is a bug and incorrect behavior as it misrepresents the selected value in the back end.

It looks like some people relied on this behavior to have the first item selected by default.  In order to get that behavior, people will need to set the value of the Default property to the first item in their dataset (i.e. First(DATA_FROM_ITEMS).FIELD_FROM_VALUE) ).

Does that fix the problem for you?

24 REPLIES 24
Mike8
Level 10

Yes, I noticed the same. Now they show blank as default.
I did the following: 
For those that I didn't have a default value I added
Dropdown1.Default: First(CollectionName).ColumnName
and for those that I had a default value 
Like Dropdown2.Default: vDefaultValue
I changed it to
Dropdown2.Default: If(LookUp(CollectionName,vDefaultValue=ColumnName,true),vDefaultValue,First(CollectionName).ColumnName)

PSahu

Yes. If this change will remain, then I have to fix the whole app (which is a lot of work) for lots of app. It is a lot of rework and complete end to end testing needs to be done again for each component.

I just wanted to reach the team to see if this issue can be reverted back or if an app setting can be switched off to not see this change applied. 

Jrldscrpz

That's why I'm pissed off. All my validations argh!

Mike8
Level 10

I agree. They should have informed us for a change like this one.

OneThing
Level 8

Same issue affecting myself. Luckily I've only updated a small app to notice it involvinf 2 dropdowns so easy to work around but this will break all my apps if I save any other's.

Any work on a resolution time?

Thanks,

Nicky

OneThing
Level 8

Same issue affecting myself. Luckily I've only updated a small app to notice it involvinf 2 dropdowns so easy to work around but this will break all my apps if I save any other's.

Any work on a resolution time?

Thanks,

Nicky

Super User
Super User

I just noticed a similar issue with cascading Combobox and Dropdown in an app we have in production. 

Scenario:

• Combobox:
    • Items:
      • Sort(
            Distinct(
                sharepointList, employeeID),
            Result
        )
  • Dropdown:
    • Items:
      • Distinct(
            Filter(
                sharePointList,
                employeeID = comboBox.Selected.Result
            ),
            employeeLocation
        )
    • Dropdown is now completely blank when an employeeID is selected.
    • Worked fine for 8 months, now blank. No warning, no notice, just happened to stumble onto it.

Fix:

• Dropdown:
    • Left Items property the same
    • Changed Default property from "1" to:
      • First(
            Filter(
                sharepointList,
                employeeID = comboBox.Selected.Result
            ).employeeLocation
        ).employeeLocation
  • Its weird to use .employeeLocation twice like that (probably the shape of my data), but it works.

Hope this helps!

jsantan73

I am having the same issue with my apps as well!!  All were working the day before yesterday and now all are broken.  Please resolve!!

Highlighted
jsantan73

This hurts my brain. I am hoping that someone who is smarter than me can help me resolve my similar situation.  I have a gallery being filtered by dropdowns whose sources are collections that list the distinct values of the filter.  It adds an "<All>" value which normally is the default but now it's broken.  Pardon me if I am about to do this wrong... first time posting here and not sure how you show the code in it's own box...

This creates a collection (StatusDropList) for the Dropdown based on the data from my gallery (FCDUserWorkStatus) using an OnVisible.  (I am just showing 1 of the 5 dropdowns that broke, otherwise they are all similarly executed):

ClearCollect(StatusDropList, {Result:"<All>"}); Collect(StatusDropList, Sort(Distinct(Filter(DirectoryData, FCDUserWorkStatus <> ""), FCDUserWorkStatus),Result, Ascending))

The default value of the dropdown is set to "1."

The items value is:    StatusDropList.Result

Can anyone guide me as to what I should try to modify to get this working again?

Thanks, John

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 4,897 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: