cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnsonjohn
Level: Powered On

Licensing PowerApps

We have Office 365E1 in one of our env and is using power apps associated with this. Recently I created an application using SQL Server On-Premises as a data source. To create the connection I was asked to sign up for power apps 2 plan and I did so. I was able to share it with other users in the tenant who has Power App licenses associated with their E1 license. Is this the way Power App licensing works? Now the creator has a valid Power App2 license and other users E1. Will there be any issues. The connection is explicitly shared with all user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Licensing PowerApps

Hi @johnsonjohn,

If the creator who has a PowerApps Plan 2 license share an app which includes a On-premise SQL table connection to the users who have Office 365 Enterprise E1 license, these users with E1 license could use this shared app.

When share an app which contains a On-premise SQL Server connection to the end users, the On-premise SQL connection would be shared to them automatically.

More details about sharing an app which contains a On-premise data connection, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-resources#connections

But the users who only have E1 license could not create a On-premise SQL table connection within an app. More details about the limits, please check the following article:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Hi @johnsonjohn

This is slightly confusing because at this moment, it shouldn't be necessary to sign up for a Plan 2 license in order to build apps with SQL Server On-Premises, and users with O365 E1 licenses should have to access SQL Server On-Premise.

What I can say is that this will change from 1st Feb 2019. From that date, any user that wants to access SQL Server On-Premise will require at least a Plan 1 license. Here's a link with more details.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/m-p/199915#M64...

Hope that's of some help to you.

Highlighted
johnsonjohn

I was unable to connect to SQL with my E1 license in December 2018. I want to know if the app can be shared used across the tenant with one purchased plan 1 or plan 2 license and others with existing E1.
Super User
Super User

From February 2019, an E1 license is not sufficient to run an app that connects to an on-premise SQL Server.

So if you were to build an app with a Plan 1 or 2 license and share it with E1 users, the E1 users will not be able to access the SQL data. What I think will happen is that those E1 users will be prompted to start a Plan 2 trial, at which point they'll be able to access the data for a limited period of time.

johnsonjohn

That doesn't make a sense. Assume there are 800 users in a tenant. 800 * 40 USD per month (384000 USD Annually in addition to E1 License) is a huge amount. I don't think Microsoft will charge it this way. Don't you think so?
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @johnsonjohn,

If the creator who has a PowerApps Plan 2 license share an app which includes a On-premise SQL table connection to the users who have Office 365 Enterprise E1 license, these users with E1 license could use this shared app.

When share an app which contains a On-premise SQL Server connection to the end users, the On-premise SQL connection would be shared to them automatically.

More details about sharing an app which contains a On-premise data connection, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-resources#connections

But the users who only have E1 license could not create a On-premise SQL table connection within an app. More details about the limits, please check the following article:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
johnsonjohn

Thank you so much @v-xida-msft. Appreciating your response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 113 members 4,240 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: