Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: Looking for ideas on a workaround for the nested gallery limit workaround

@LRVinNC 

I thought you might like that!! 

So, some of the rational is that I was throwing this together quickly. So, I have no doubt that some refactoring would be beneficial.  AND, there are actually some issues with it when doing anything OTHER than the sample data.  SO, it's not ideal!  (hope that doesn't burst your Happy Monday Morning bubble)

Let me fidget with it a little more and I'll get you some more specific details (and perhaps a more universal formula).

As for the Collect and Filter - that's not an issue as it is not "altering" of the collection.  We can look at aspects of the collection while collecting it, we run into trouble when trying to alter the collection while collecting the same collection.

Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC 

Finally got a chance to review it again...Yes, I was correct, there were a lot of "rush this together" moments in there.

The issue was, that if you added any other projects to departments, things got a little wacky. 

So, attached is a new version of the same.  The formula in the OnStart is quite different and this time it accounts for all the levels, all the projects and the grouping/association of each.  As well, it adds sorting at all levels.

I added some more test data in the sample collection.  More importantly, that I added items somewhat randomly in the data to ensure that grouping of projects and departments along with the proper milestones would occur...it does.

Take a look over it and let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

I think there could still be some refactoring that would help, but only had a little time to look it over.

ericonline
Level 10

Holy smokes @RandyHayes . Your app shows a very cool use for SortByColumns. Also @LRVinNC, your table is well organized for this type of application. 

This is an ALLSTAR example of the PowerApps community. Excellent collaboration and thank you both for being so committed and willing to share!

Highlighted
LRVinNC
Level 10

@RandyHayes I did not think my jaw could drop any lower... I was wrong.  {Bowing to the master}

And thank you for the annotations.  I'll work tomorrow to integrate this into one of my reports and let you know how it goes.  I couldn't have dreamed this up in a month of Sundays and the fact that you can do certain things is still fuzzy in places, but it clearly works well. 

Thanks for all the thought you put into this.  Amazing solution.

Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC 

I'm very happy that it will have some practical use.  Definitely let me know how it works in your app.

I believe this works pretty well for any situation where there are at least three levels deep like you have in the data.  It could probably easily have more levels integrated into it.

Hopefully I threw in enough annotation to guide, but if there are any questions, just shout!  Smiley Happy