cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielaH
Level 8

Manipulating timestamp by changing device date & time

Hello,

We use the Now() function (hidden from user) to capture the exact date & time when the user submits their data through the app. Our usecase for apps is to transform paper-based forms into digital ones. One of the advantages was that the timestamp could not be easily manipulated compared to a sheet of paper (where we cannot control whether the added date is accurate).

However, if a user simply changes their device date & time, then PowerApps will use that instead of the 'real' date and time.

Hence my question:

Are all PowerApps date fields tied back to the device date & time?

Does anyone have an idea how to control for the above scenario, e.g. if somebody tried to deliberately alter the date?

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Manipulating timestamp by changing device date & time

Hi @DanielaH

What data source are you using?

The CDS, for example, automatically stores the create time/create user/last modified time and last modified user for each record. With SQL Server, you could set the default value of a field to 'CURRENT_TIMESTAMP' to insert the server date and time during record creation. With Excel or non server based data stores, this would be much more difficult.

DanielaH
Level 8

Re: Manipulating timestamp by changing device date & time

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Currently my data source is a SharePoint list, I pull the data into a collection and work within collections, when the user submits it uses Flow to feed the data back into another SharePoint list. Therefore, I am using the PowerApps date functions.

My question was if there is any date function available that does not use the device / system date and time, but queries the current time differently, perhaps through a specific connector / web service.

This might be overcomplicating things, I just realized that you could simply alter the device time and date to adjust the 'submit time'.

On the other side I could compare this to the SharePoint list item creation date.. good point.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 87 members 4,464 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: