cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Kenzie
Level: Powered On

Mobile Layout AND Tablet Layout for PowerApp

From my research - it appears that I will not be able to have a mobile layout and a tablet layout for ONE PowerApp with the layout determined by device type.

So I have to create one PowerApp in Phone layout and one PowerApp in Tablet layout - correct?

And if that's the case, is there a way to only display apps created in phone layout in the mobile application?

From my understanding, if the app is shared with you, it is going to show in the mobile application. I don't want users to see two HSEQ PowerApps in the list and have to choose between one titled desktop and the other titled mobile.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Mobile Layout AND Tablet Layout for PowerApp

You are correct that you choose whether an App is a Tablet or Mobile App before you create them. But the basic difference between them is the size of the screen.  If you are careful you can create an app using the Tablet App designation that will adapt the size of controls etc for a mobile device. Having two different types of apps is more of a convenience than a requirement.

So you can create just one type of App, probably Tablet, and then make sure that you adjust everything on the screen based on the size of the device.

Otherwise, it is common to make two versions of the App and name them differnetly.  I am not aware of anyway that you can filter the mobile client not to show Tablet Apps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Kenzie ,

Do you want to run your app in different layout based on the device you use to run it?

Currently, within PowerApps, we could not create a Phone or Tablet layout app at the same time for single one app. If you want to run your app in different layout based on the device you use, I think the Responsive layout functionality in PowerApps could achieve your needs.

More details about creating a Responsive layout canvas app, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/create-responsive-layout

Please also check and see if the following blogs would help in your scenario:

https://www.valointranet.com/blog/deep-dive-adding-responsive-design-to-powerapps/

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/craft-app-height-and-width-expressions-to-create-responsi...

If you run your Responsive layout canvas app, it would respond to different devices or window sizes, making various experiences feel more natural.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Kenzie

Hi @Pstork1 - thanks for the reply.

I was hopeful that PowerApps offered similar functionality as Nintex (which I am more familiar with) when it came to various layouts for one form, and a mobile application that displayed only mobile layouts. Hopefully there will be a similar option in the future.

Thanks again!

Kenzie

Hey @v-xida-msft - thanks for the reply.

Yes - I would like to be able to run the app in a difference layout based on device. My background is more in Nintex form/workflow dev, where this functionality existed, so I was hopeful I would be able to do the same in PowerApps.

In the meantime, my tablet app is formatted so that it resizes properly when viewed on mobile. Unfortunately, I think it may be too small for our guys out in the field on jobs. I will probably go ahead and create a separate mobile application and label it as such for particular apps.

Do you know if this functionality is planned? Or where I can stay up to date if/when it does launch?

Thanks again - appreciate the feedback!!

Super User
Super User

If you take a look at the App settings you will find a setting called SizeBreakpoints.  These can be used to set a Small, Medium, and Large size in Pixels as a way of changing sizing and Layouts when the device falls trough one of those breakpoints.  Take a look at this article on creating Responsive Designs in PowerApps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/create-responsive-layout

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 105 members 4,191 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: