cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JWright-NewSig
Level: Powered On

New Licensing Announcement

Looking at the licensing announcement at Inspire https://twitter.com/tommioksanen/status/1151269034819633152?s=12

Any thoughts or Opinions?

I think im more confused now as the plans will be going away, and users that were on 7$ a month plans will now need to pay 40$ a month and their flows could potentially disappear unless they pay another 15$ a month/user (with a minimum of 20 users) if their flow is not in the context of a power app?

I've also received feedback from clients about concerns that it seems that you cannot use PowerApps without interacting with features that are in Preview (ie the the Admin Portal). Some of my clients have policies of no betas in production and the fact that the primary admin interface is still in preview makes a 40$ license a very hard sell.

(I have contacted support with admin related issues and they told me not to use the new admin centre because it is preview, then had others on the same support ticket tell me that the only way to reset an environment is with the admin portal, that is in preview)

10 REPLIES 10
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: New Licensing Announcement

Hi @JWright-NewSig ,

Please see the PowerApps pricing page with the latest pricing information for each PowerApps license (Plan 1 and Plan 2). Please see Microsoft Flow pricing page with the latest pricing information for each Microsoft Flow license. 

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JWright-NewSig

@v-monli-msft Can I expect the same pricing model to be available after October 2019 as per my original post?

atp

More details are in a new post on the PowerApps blog:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-licensing-options-for-powerapps-and-flow/

Unfortunately it confirms my fears after reviewing the tweets linked to in the original post...  The cost for our users to continue using PowerApps apps the way we are now is going to cost us roughly 600% more in October than it does now.  Smiley Sad

Merlijn
Level 8

I cannot read anything about SharePoint apps/forms in SharePoint Online.. it's a shame that we have to pay $15 for some simple SharePoint items/notification flows if it's not related to a powerapp...
Merlijn
Level 8

67191098_2733079866720391_2768060882733760512_o.jpg

So a customer with 5 users and 1 simple app, needs 30 Per App Licenses, despite it only uses 5. So the monthly fee of $35 (5*$7) will be $300. Am I right?

So monthly costs will be like times ten multiplied.. A simple app will not be worth it anymore...

atp

In the scenario you presented, the user license option would be the better choice in which case it is "only" around a 5-6x more expensive instead of 10x.  $200/mo instead of $35/mo.

bnewman

This reminds me of the Power BI licensing changes from a couple of years ago.  As soon as a product starts gaining momentum, Microsoft changes the licensing "to make it simpler for us" which always seems to result in costs jumping WAAAAAAAY higher, especially for small/mid size customers.  

We're going to be doing everything we can to work within the context of the PowerApps/Flow licenses included with our Office 365 licensing.  We might have considered using P1 capabilities in some cases, but with the licensing costs jumping from $7/user/month to $40/user/month is pretty outrageous.

bnewman

And - similar to the Power BI licensing changes - Microsoft does not offer licensing for people who are just consumers of PowerApps/Flow.  Someone who is creating all the PowerApps they want pays the same per month as someone who just occasionally uses a PowerApp.  Having a less expensive license that would allow users to interact with PowerApps but not create them, and keeping the more expensive license for those that are creating PowerApps, would make these changes much easier to swallow.

JWright-NewSig

Would be nice to have a Kiosk-type license for more casual users with no access to make or admin portals. I would even accept that those licenses contribute very little to the number of API calls or storage capacity allocated just so that I can afford to get more users using the apps that I want to build.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 4,971 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: