cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arthurzhu
Level: Powered On

Passing SysGen_PersonnelNumber to PowerApps

Hi,

I need some help for embedding PowerApps to Dynamics 365 Talent.

I found an existing CDS entity called 'Worker' I need to pass the 'Worker Number' field from Talent to PowerApps.

In the Talent screen the 'Worker Number' field is showen as "SysGen_PersonnelNumber".

I tried to embed and app and add the below label to my app to test it out.

"Personnel Number: " & Param("SysGen_PersonnelNumber")

After publishing the app the value of Param("SysGen_PersonnelNumber") is not showing.

Any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks

Arthur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arthurzhu

Re: Passing SysGen_PersonnelNumber to PowerApps

Looks like using the formula in the blog post worked the trick:

The formula to use on the On Start action of the PowerApp:  If(!IsBlank(Param(“EntityId”)), Set(FinOpsInput, Param(“EntityId”)), Set(FinOpsInput,””))

I just keep the "EntityId" as the parameter and "FinOpsInput" as the global variable and I can use it to reference the personnel number value.

Also it is documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/fin-and-ops/get-started/embed-power-...

It seems that Talent is 'borrowing' the FinOps names for the parameter passing functionality - very confusing.

Anyway it worked the purpose and I will move on.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Arthur

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @arthurzhu,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

How do you embed an app within your Dynamics 365 Talent Entity?

Do you want to pass parameter from your Entity to your embedded app?

Please check if you have typed proper column name within the Param function within your app.

In addition, before you click the PowerApps (button) functionality within your D365 Talent entity, please check if you have selected one record within your Entity.

Also please check if the SysGen_PersonnelNumber column of your current selected record in your Talent entity is empty.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://dynamics365.wordpress.com/category/powerapps/

If the issue still exists, please consider take a try to remove the embedded app from your Talent Entity, and then re-embed a new app within your Talent Entity, then select one record, and click the "PowerApps" button functionality within your Talent entity, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
arthurzhu

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your detailed reply. 

Sorry I was on annual leave over the Christmas holiday period and I only see your reply today.

Please find the details below:

How do you embed an app within your Dynamics 365 Talent Entity? - Using Options -> Personalise this form on the record of a test record. There is a '...' menu and 'Add PowerApp' on the right hand side and inside the dialog box popping up I specify the parameter to pass in the PowerApp.

Do you want to pass parameter from your Entity to your embedded app? - Yes - my app is using the 'Worker' entity and I need the 'Worker Number'.

Please check if you have typed proper column name within the Param function within your app. - checked and the parameter name is 'SysGen_PersonnelNumber.

In addition, before you click the PowerApps (button) functionality within your D365 Talent entity, please check if you have selected one record within your Entity. - I am on the test record when adding my app.

Also please check if the SysGen_PersonnelNumber column of your current selected record in your Talent entity is empty. - I added the 'Personnel Number' field to the record and I can see a value there. Also I can find this record in the CDS 'Worker' entity.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://dynamics365.wordpress.com/category/powerapps/

- Will check. However it is about SharePoint from a quick glance. But I will read through.

If the issue still exists, please consider take a try to remove the embedded app from your Talent Entity, and then re-embed a new app within your Talent Entity, then select one record, and click the "PowerApps" button functionality within your Talent entity, check if the issue is solved.

- At the moment this is not possible as I am only authorised to use this one record for my testing. I assume you mean the whole 'Worker' entity in your above comment.

Regards,

Arthur

arthurzhu

Also please find the screenshot of the Personnel Number:

Talent_Personnel_number.png

arthurzhu

Looks like using the formula in the blog post worked the trick:

The formula to use on the On Start action of the PowerApp:  If(!IsBlank(Param(“EntityId”)), Set(FinOpsInput, Param(“EntityId”)), Set(FinOpsInput,””))

I just keep the "EntityId" as the parameter and "FinOpsInput" as the global variable and I can use it to reference the personnel number value.

Also it is documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/fin-and-ops/get-started/embed-power-...

It seems that Talent is 'borrowing' the FinOps names for the parameter passing functionality - very confusing.

Anyway it worked the purpose and I will move on.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Arthur