cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Patch and replace attachment in existing Sharepoint list item

I feel like I keep hitting a brick wall with this...I am currently building a request app where a user can upload an attachment.  The request is returned to the user, they have an option to upload another file.  I only want one attachment per request.  How do I overwrite the inital attachment with a new attachment the user is providing?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Patch and replace attachment in existing Sharepoint list item

Hi @lumberjacklurch,

Could you please share a bit more about “replace the old attachment with the new one” that you mentioned?

Do you want to delete the old attachment from the SP list item, instead, add the new one?

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to only show  the newest attachment in your app, please take a try with the following workaround:

You can change the DetailForm’s Attachments’  DataCard.Deafult and EditForm’s Attachments’ DataCard.Default to Last(ThisItem.Attachments)

I test as this:

Attachments_DataCard2.Default: Last(ThisItem.Attachments)

Attachment_DataCard1.Default: Last(ThisItem.Attachments)

20190131patchreplaceattachment1.jpg

20190131patchreplaceattachment2.jpg

Result Test:

20190131replaceattachmenttest.gif

Hope this can be helpful.

Best Regards.

Yumia

Yumia,

Thank you for the reply.  I did get it working...kind of.  What I was trying to do was replace the attachment via patch, and, you're right, it will not work that way.  So, I had to do it in a form.  Once I utilized the attachments control in a form, I upped the max allowed files from 1 to 2.  After populating the form with the selected item's data, the user can see (and then delete) the old file attachment and, at the same time, upload a new file attachment to replace it.  After that, I just used SubmitForm() to save the changes to the item.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @lumberjacklurch,

Could you please share a bit more about “replace the old attachment with the new one” that you mentioned?

Do you want to delete the old attachment from the SP list item, instead, add the new one?

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to only show  the newest attachment in your app, please take a try with the following workaround:

You can change the DetailForm’s Attachments’  DataCard.Deafult and EditForm’s Attachments’ DataCard.Default to Last(ThisItem.Attachments)

I test as this:

Attachments_DataCard2.Default: Last(ThisItem.Attachments)

Attachment_DataCard1.Default: Last(ThisItem.Attachments)

20190131patchreplaceattachment1.jpg

20190131patchreplaceattachment2.jpg

Result Test:

20190131replaceattachmenttest.gif

Hope this can be helpful.

Best Regards.

Yumia

Yumia,

Thank you for the reply.  I did get it working...kind of.  What I was trying to do was replace the attachment via patch, and, you're right, it will not work that way.  So, I had to do it in a form.  Once I utilized the attachments control in a form, I upped the max allowed files from 1 to 2.  After populating the form with the selected item's data, the user can see (and then delete) the old file attachment and, at the same time, upload a new file attachment to replace it.  After that, I just used SubmitForm() to save the changes to the item.

amoncayo
Level: Powered On

I used:

Patch(source, Default(Source), {Record}, FormName.Updates) 

and it worked great!!

PytByt

@amoncayo wrote:

I used:

Patch(source, Default(Source), {Record}, FormName.Updates) 

and it worked great!!

Hi @amoncayo  and @v-yuxima-msft 

I also need to add new attachment to the same record in the same SP List. 

I use submitform and it keeping creating new record in the same SP List. What i need is the new attachment is adding to the same record, so i can have many attachment in the same record field in my SP List items.

is it possible?

thanks,

pytbyt

amoncayo

I know there is a 10mb max for attachments, you may have to use Collect and create a gallery. 

PytByt

@amoncayo wrote:

I know there is a 10mb max for attachments, you may have to use Collect and create a gallery. 

@amoncayo 

i thought that the size can we customize? no?

amoncayo

A control that allows users to download files to their device, as well as upload and delete files from a SharePoint list or a Common Data Service entity.

Limitations

The attachment control has these limitations:

1. Attachments are supported with SharePoint lists and Common Data Service entities.

2. Upload and delete functionality work only inside a form. The Attachment control appears disabled when in Edit mode and not inside a form. To save file additions and deletions, the app user must save the form. Because of this limitation, the Attachment control isn't available from the Insert tab but appears in the form when the Attachment form field is enabled in a SharePoint or Common Data Service form.

3. You can upload files only if they're 10 MB or smaller.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 4,815 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: