cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shafeel_07
Level: Powered On

Patch issues combobox

Hi Powerapps Cimmunity,

i have a submit button that is patching some data back to a sql table like this - ForAll(ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),{Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id:EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID, Data_Integrity_Systems_Id:ID})). i have a combobox where i am grabbing the data for Data_Integrity_Systems_Id. both columns are int type, the patch works perfectly fine when i am patching in the edit screen , but when im creating a new form. the EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID wont work and wont product a value and since the table doesnt allow nulls it wont at all. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Patch issues combobox

Hi @Shafeel_07,

Based on the formula that you provided, I think you have some misunderstanding in EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

The EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return value only when you save your form data into your SQL Table using SubmitForm function.

When you open a new form in your app (in New Form), the Edit form would be reset, so the EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return blank. In addition, the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column value would be generated only when you save a record into your SQL table.

In other words, you could not get the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id value of the record which has not been added into your SQL table using EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

As an alternative solution, I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

ForAll(
         ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 
         Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),{Data_Integrity_Systems_Id:ID})   /* <-- Don't provide a value for Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column */
    )

Note: We could not provide a value for a Auto-Generated column in SQL Table data source within PowerApps.

If you want to assign a value for a Auto-Generated column in a SQL table from PowerApps app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
7 REPLIES 7
PowerApps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
PowerApps Staff

Hi @Shafeel_07,

I've formatted your formula for understanding:

ForAll(ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 
    Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),
        {
            Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id: EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID, 
            Data_Integrity_Systems_Id: ID
        }
    )
)

If I understand correctly, EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID is not showing up for you when creating a new form.

To clarify, the LastSubmit property of a form will only have a record if you use SubmitForm. It is possible to reset the last submitted record, so you may want to set it to a variable upon successfully using SubmitForm.

For example, in the OnSuccess property of EditForm1, you could set it to:

Set(selectedRecord, EditForm1.LastSubmit)

But I'll need more details on what exactly you're trying to achieve here to guide more.

Shafeel_07

So i have a ComboBox where i am able to select multiple values from a list and return its ID which goes into  Data_Integrity_Systems_Id: ID , and then Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id grabs the test case id of the value seleceted from the gallery, it works fine when you select a value from the gallery but not when you create a new test case.  i have a auto id generator in Sql which creates a new Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id. with EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID i am trying to retrieve the last Test_Case_ID submitted

PowerApps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
PowerApps Staff

Can you draw out the sequence of actions you're expecting in your app?

Shafeel_07

So i have a 1 to many relationship where one Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id can belong to many  Data_Integrity_Systems_Id which is where i use the ComboBox to retireve multiple values, then i would store this in a table like given in the attachment, i have a gallery where i can retrieve Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id but when im creating a new form it wont work because the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id is automatically generated by sql

Shafeel_07

even if i have a timer and put my patch statement there to allow the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id  to be generated in my sql table , it still wont retrieve the last submitting Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Shafeel_07,

Based on the formula that you provided, I think you have some misunderstanding in EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

The EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return value only when you save your form data into your SQL Table using SubmitForm function.

When you open a new form in your app (in New Form), the Edit form would be reset, so the EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return blank. In addition, the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column value would be generated only when you save a record into your SQL table.

In other words, you could not get the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id value of the record which has not been added into your SQL table using EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

As an alternative solution, I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

ForAll(
         ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 
         Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),{Data_Integrity_Systems_Id:ID})   /* <-- Don't provide a value for Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column */
    )

Note: We could not provide a value for a Auto-Generated column in SQL Table data source within PowerApps.

If you want to assign a value for a Auto-Generated column in a SQL table from PowerApps app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Shafeel_07

i would still need Data_Integrity_Test_Case_ID to be patched, so thanks for the reply, i will have to find some other alternative