In my PowerApp, when I reference the columns:

1. SpeakerId
  2. SpeakerId2
  3. SpeakerId3

The intellisense results display as:

1. 'SpeakerId (SpeakerId0)'
  2. 'SpeakerId2 (SpeakerId20)'
  3. SpeakerId3

Why the difference.  I thought it might have to do with how I added the column in SharePoint -- Create Column  (from List Settings) vs. Add using the '+' in the quick edit.  But when I tried to reproduce, using both methods, it did not result in the column wrapped in ' '.  Baffled and would like to understand Smiley Wink.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Please explain SharePoint Columns

Hi @KickingApps

According to the help, Intellisense shows names in brackets when column names are not unique.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/display-names-enters-preview-for-canvas-apps/

Since display names are not guaranteed to be unique there is the potential for conflict between two columns. If this happens, the logical name of the conflicting column will be shown in parenthesis after the display name. For example, this entity has two columns with Size as the display name, with cr5ca_sizewidth (shown) and cr5ca_sizeheight (not shown) as logical names:

Therefore, is there someway that you could have ended up with two SpeakerId and SpeakerId2 columns?

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @KickingApps

According to the help, Intellisense shows names in brackets when column names are not unique.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/display-names-enters-preview-for-canvas-apps/

Since display names are not guaranteed to be unique there is the potential for conflict between two columns. If this happens, the logical name of the conflicting column will be shown in parenthesis after the display name. For example, this entity has two columns with Size as the display name, with cr5ca_sizewidth (shown) and cr5ca_sizeheight (not shown) as logical names:

Therefore, is there someway that you could have ended up with two SpeakerId and SpeakerId2 columns?

KickingApps
Level 8

@timl Thank you - it makes sense.  As a note, if you create a column, delete it and create a new column with the same name as that that was deleted, it seems to no longer be unique. Even if you deleted.

Appreciate your response.

Super User
Super User

@KickingApps Thanks for clarifying how deleting and recreating a new column with the same name produces a different 'logical' name. That's really useful to know.

Super User
Super User

Hey,

Just chipping in here - internal names are constant, permanent and never re-used (think of them as absolute object identifiers - no matter where in sharepoint or o365, if it sees a reference to that specific name, it knows exactly where and what it is).

Also SharePoint naming can run you into all sorts of trouble due to it technically have three names when you create an item (Internal, Display, Static).

I put a few details here in an old post regarding field sizes, but the short version is that internal names are single-use.

There's also this really old blog post on Perficent which covers where Static name might be used from a dev point of view and also covers why sharepoint adds a number to the end of identical columns (spoiler: it's so that internal names are not duplicated and so that they can be referenced specifically without confusion)

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 4,320 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: