cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirvana_moksh
Helper II
Helper II

PowerApps Writing back to SQL?

I have an app which is up and running and writes back to Excel Online hosted on OneDrive. We do not find this a secure way as we have to give users of the Power App edit access to the Excel Online as well to successfully make the comment/write back.

We want to replace this with a On-Prem SQL Server Table. I am unsure of what rights are needed for the SQL Table besides reader and writer and how to go about replacing this Excel Online connection and how to go about making this happen. 

Any documentation/advice would be really helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
johnmarlowe
Advocate III
Advocate III

My suggestion was a bit of a raw principle, but as I sat and thought there are a few ways you could do this i guess. So you could create a table that stores execution of SP'S. In your SP open with creating a record and flagging a Procedure started column. (Set the record ID as max(ID) +1 and store that value within the SP so it can be called at the end. Make sure you put this first part in a transaction and commit before executing the main part of the SP so that you definitely have a record of the proc starting even if it falls over later . At the end update the original record in a Procedure complete flag column. You theft have a full record of procedures failing to fully execute. Useful for debugging. You could even store all parameters passed to the proc in this execution table as this might also.help debugging.

As to how you get this info back to the PA user, it's never going to be as ideal as a Proc failed message immediately after execution of the flow, but it's a start.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
johnmarlowe
Advocate III
Advocate III

For what it's worth I recommend this approach based on my own experience. Not only is it more secure but infinitely more flexible. The app I've build pulls in Information from other DB servers which in turn pulls data from 3rd party software api's which means we can use Powerapps to bridge the gaps in off the shelf software and provide the bespoke elements without the need for costly supplier development.

If you intend to do this you will need to.set up a gateway on your network, but ideally as closet to, if not on the DB server (which no allows clustering of multiple gateways, to ensure good availability to your DB) to minimise latency. Our DBA set up the gateway, and although it took a little fiddling to get it working it was fairly straightforward.

One recommendation i would make is that rather than use the standard data links to your data source from within powerapps, that you play around with passing the edits through sql server stored procedures using Flow. This actually gives you a lot more flexibility, and security.
The gateway itself uses the specific SQL server user account details, however if you use stored procedures and pass the user name over as a parameter your stored procedure offers you no end of options for storing information related to the auditing of data.
You might find this takes a bit of time and someone who's comfortable at writing and adapting stored procedures, but I promise it's worth it as you engage the power of the DB rather than complicating your webapp front end.

Anyway, good luck to you in your endeavours.

thanks a lot for your reply John, I will surely try this out and discuss with my team.

+1 on John's suggestion to use Stored Procedures.

You can limit the SQL account to just executing the necessary procedures, no need to grant Insert/Update on the underlying tables.

The SP enforces data types and can have additional logic to validate the data.

Is easy to update if business rules change or underlying tables are restructured.  The SP may look the same to the PowerApp/Flow thats using it but it can be completly rewritten - meaning you don't have to rejigger those applications when things change in the database.

johnmarlowe
Advocate III
Advocate III

This is a great point. Once you've established your SP execution point you can effectively use it as a static API endpoint for posting data. At first I passed every piece of data as a separate parameter to the SP but each time I wanted to pass a new field I had to fiddle with the flow. Instead what I do now (generally) is pass all data fields across in a single string with my own syntax to delimit the data. I then have logic in the SP to split out the data into separate fields and update accordingly.
I still generally pass the username over as a separate parameter because generally any time someone edits the data I want to make an audit record so i'm always needing a username.

Like I say, this has taken some time to get to and you want to be comfortable with SQL, but having worked with lots of professional software suppliers who seem to give the front end too much of the data logic responsibilities, I'm a big fan of leveraging the massive capabilities of a DB like MSSQL in doing the heavy lifting, leaving your App to be nimble and user-friendly.
It gives you the advantage to develop the front and back ends on different release schedules.

So this is how my Power Apps looks like as of now which is connected to Excel Online and each of the sections in this screen like 'Type' , 'Date', 'Description' write back to the Excel Online. Additionally, I have considered the route of developing the stored procedure that has parameters capturing these details.

So my question is how do i define any kind of stored procedure within these 'data cards'/sections to write to the sp, is it just like changing the connection to SQL? I know I can connect to SQL but then it lists out Tables where I want these data cards to write back to, so I am kinda lost. 

Power Apps.PNG

Shanescows
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional

I will offer here is my step-by-step guide for deploying the gateway and building your first app from SQL. Might help you get started and avoid some of the gotchas with licensing and such. 

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
johnmarlowe
Advocate III
Advocate III

So my own personal approach has been that instead of calling the main table to display (say firstly in a gallery and then the selected record in data cards) I use a database view (which poweapps now supports). Even if the view is just all unfiltered records and all columns from your table (i.e. identical to your core data table) to begin with. There main advantage here is the ability to control what information powerapps sees, but to do it from the database side. So for example...
If you ever want to soft delete a record you can add a simple bit column (isDeleted) into the table, but change the view so it filters out any of the deleted records (i.e. where isDeleted <> 1) and this way you never need to put that logic into your powerapps gallery filter.

Or if you want to join info from another table on, you can do this in the view without having to add and store additional field data in your core record.

So assuming you have your view set up and this is what's coming into.your gallery and being displayed in your sections, you just need to decide exactly how you go about the editing process for the users. But however you want to do this you need to make sure you create a SP in the database that accepts the parameters you want. So let's keep it conceptually simple, we create a SP that accepts parameters for each field you might potentially want to edit in an update. Let's say this is proc_tableUpdate. All parameters are set to NULL maybe which gives you the option of passing only changed values of the record. However if you want to pass over all values to the procedure that's not a problem it's just a case of whether you want to limit the data going across.

Your SP should just effectively be a UPDATE statement. It takes the values you pass it and updates the core record table (and does whatever else you want it to e.g. create an audit record of the change)

To access this SP from Powerapps you need to set up a flow from your powerapps home page, look for the Execute SQL Server stored procedure connector, and then if your gateway is up.and running correctly you should see your SP. the final set up for the flow will ask you to define the parameters but you click on "ask in powerapps" for each parameter space. You can assign a flow to an ON SELECT action in Powerapps, and you then give it the values from your powerapps items, such as drop downs, input boxes etc. The point is here that there are a million and one ways of designing this kind of interface then, and it just depends on your preferred way if setting it up. But ultimately the desired values go.into the flow as parameters and are therefore passed through the gateway to the SP as such.

So things I didn't touch on there are adding new records:
You can either do this using the same SP but use a MERGE function to distinguish between an update or an insert (or you can manually simulate this but SQL server's merge function is pretty valuable)
OR you can set up a separate SP (with an insert function) and flow to handle the insert of a new record of your PA process is different for updates and new records.

The other thing is that eventually you may just want to pass through a single string to your SP and come up with your own logical delimiting syntax to allow you to pull it apart the other side.

Hopefully this is a little help but suspect you'll still be searching around the forums for more info on things, because I've probably left a tonne of gaps in the process. The more I've delved into PA the more I've decoupled the Data handling from PA's own mechanisms and used flow to hand the data to the DB to process. As good as they are, I prefer the flexibility of SQL server in the long term, but this makes PA so much more straightforward and useful from a user front end builder.

johnmarlowe
Advocate III
Advocate III

Reading back my post I suspect I may have "over-contributed" a bit!
nirvana_moksh
Helper II
Helper II

I really appreciate you taking the time out to post this and putting the effort needed to list it all out. This will be my weekend experiment for sure! Thanks again John for being really helpful and awesome with your detail driven posts.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd. at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3rd, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!       Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪🌠

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!    Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,319)