cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Powerman1
Level: Powered On

PowerApps failing to work with Excel stored in Business Onedrive.

Hello,

I have a excel sheet and the purpose for it is a quality/performance of call operators on calls we have listened to and provide feedback with a score. Each operator has their own sheet with their own table. Master page calculates totals etc, not important.

I am basically using this powerapp to create a entry form for each sheet. However I have been receiving issues with connecting to the data, and submitting entries.

Issues that have arised:

The Excel worksheet that is the source becomes corrupted after a connection is made.

This error message also appears:

Failed to load AmandaT. The specified record was not found. Server response: Failed to read metadata from file source. Response from the end service is : Not Found clientRequestId: 57bd01aa-5f3a-4178-9146-78b515259148 serviceRequestId: 57bd01aa-5f3a-4178-9146-78b515259148;57bd01aa-5f3a-4178-9146-78b515259148

Am I doing something wrong, does excel sheets within a onedrive not function fully and needs work? Should I look for an alternative method?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps failing to work with Excel stored in Business Onedrive.

@Powerman1you might just need to look at the separation of data.  Meaning - you should (in my experience with Excell as a data source) only be using Excel as a datasource for your PowerApps app.  It should just be tables on sheets.  No one else should be using it.  I know they can, but I would avoid it like the plague.  I can easily see where someone mucking around using the "core" Excel file of data can throw PowerApps off and give such errors.

So, instead, you might want to look at it (the Excel file) as a datasource for not only your PowerApps, but also a datasource for ANOTHER linked Excel file.

You can easily, in Excel, connect to another Excel file (your core datasource) and pull information into a "nicely" formatted and formula rich Excel sheet.  It will update from the "core" file, just like PowerApps will get and update info from the core file.

Hope this give some fuel for thought.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Powerman1
Level: Powered On

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense, I will try that and see if I have an easier time.

Highlighted
jmill130
Level: Power Up

Randy,

Here is my use case and issue:

1. I have data I am sending to OneDrive to XLS formatted table via sFTP Flow 

2. I use the OneDrive Excel file as my datasource for PowerApps, but as you note users need read/write access to this file, and its risky.

Are you suggesting, send my file to OneDrive, make it view only, then create another file pointing to my view only file that is read/write for apps to use?

USers would need access to both and if they find the read/write file, wont it still be a risk?

THanks,
Jason

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

Follow PowerApps on Twitter

Stay Up-to-Date by following PowerApps on Twitter

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 4,318 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: